Overclocking e4300

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
i've owned a e4300 processor for quite some while now... recently came to know that this processor is an overclocker's delight... back then i had bought it with an intel board - D945GCL... i didn't know much about hardware then... so bought this decent priced mobo... now when i decided to overclock my processor, i've not been able to see any options for increasing the fsb in the bios...

so is the mobo an useless piece of crap or can i unlock these options in the bios....

Plz help me... i don't want to buy another mobo... but want to squeeze the best out of this processor....

Intel boards have fewer overclocking settings in the bios. Only item you may have not used is the cpu voltage. Check your bios for this setting. 1.45 is usually ok; I use coretemp to monitor the cpu temps. If you download and install it, you'll see 2 temp readings in the lower tool bar on the right side, one for each core. 60c under load is a safe reading. Anything higher and you risk instability. If you're running at 3.0 now, that is a good safe overclock for the e4300.

If you don't have any bios settings for fsb or voltage, you can try a "pin mod" which I used on my e4300. You'll need a piece of copper tape to do it right. Some folks use the solution from a rear defogger kit, but it's messy and costs more. The copper tape used to be sold at frys for $3, but they don't carry it anymore. You can find links to this procedure using yahoo and other search engines. Sorry I can't post links.

It's not a useless piece of crap. It does what it's supposed to - run the CPU at its rated speed.

For Intel CPU's with relatively low FSB's, the Gigabyte G41 motherboards work well at about $75.

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

it r cpu without a problem... but i wanted to overclock... anyways i'm not going to upgrade my existing setup... planning on a new setup with the core i5 sometime in feb/march

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Hmmm... if you have the cash for an i5 setup why not spend $40 for a G31 board and get some experience overclocking. It will add value to your old computer when you sell it.

TRENDING THREADS