Overclocking - EPOX 8k7a

G

Which is better for overclocking this board? Adjusting the FSB? or the Clock Multiplier?

This is my system:
Athlon TBIRD 1.2 266 FSB overclocked at 1.33 (133X10)
Mini Super ORB Heatsink and Fan
EPOX8k7a ( to be changed to EPOX8k7a+ raid )
128 X 2 DDR ram (Nania Chipset)
SBLIVE 5.1
ASUS V7100
Maxtor 40 gig
Seagate 10 gig
PLEXTOR 16x10x40
Sony 50X
Generic Floppy
Surecom 10/100 Lancard
350 watts power supply

What i did was set the switches to 10X multiplier, then i changed clock value to 133, i tried changing it to 140 but i hang up on games. I did increase the voltage by 1 increment. Can i still make this go higher? should i just put the multiplier back to 9 and change the clock to 145 (above)?

Its time to pause for a beer.. CHEERS!

G

Go with the multiplier, I am having trouble with the fsb myself on the same board.

~No sig in protest of the sig of the week~

G

As i was told, watch the heat as you clock higher.

G

I maintain a temp of 47 deg C now and when i play games i reach to about 51. Its pretty hot here in the Philippines. But if i turn on the aircondition i maintain a 49 deg C temp even when im gaming. I still want to make it reach 1.4 but it hangs on 3dmark (around the fourth loop of either the benchmark or demo). What do you suggest i do? increase the voltage a step higher? My V core value is already 1.93, i hear that if it reaches 2 then its barbeque time! What do you guys suggest?

G

I have my multiplier on 12x on a 1.4ghz Tbird. Thats 1.5x higher than default. Gets to just below 50C on a hot run, but I have a Dragon Orb 3(only good orb) plus a heap of case fans in a room temp of 26-30C.

Personally I like to stay around 50C no higher but some others are at 60C without any problems. I would stay where you are until you can do something better about that cooling. Get something better than that super orb since you are o/cing', only noisy options for air cooled from now on pretty much.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/07/01 11:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Ok, so i'll scout out for a new fan, thanks for the advise! but as of the moment im kinda in between, i really want to push it 2 1.4 (140x10), i can get in windows. Surfing, office stuff etc... no problem, its ony when i run max payne or 3DMARK2001 that it hangs. I already increased the VCORE to +0.1V and my VCORE VALUE (from viahm) is already at 1.93oC. Can i still increase my voltage?

G

Can't really tell you that, but have a look around the forum and see some of the other replies. I posted something along those lines <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=638874#638874" target="_new">here</A>

G

Guess what? i went to a local second hand store. I was able to get a fan (120x120) i leave my case open so what i did was tie the fan in front of the Heatsink just below the power supply. So right now its blowing a lot of air into the heat sink helping my mini super orb out. I did get quite an improvement. Underload my temps are 41-44 depending on the weather. Oh, i did increase my voltage to 2.04. I boot and get in windows. I can run sisoft sandra. At first my speed was 1.399(CPUid) but when i increased it to 1409.44 (141x10) when i run the 3Dmark20001 it crashes back to window giving me an error which is directX fatal error. Is this a memory problem? can i or should i increase my memory voltage? right now i can finish onebenchmark on the 3dmark2001 but when i loop it thats when it crashes. Since it was a fatal error im assuming its the memory. What do you suggest? By the way, i read your post also! thanks!

G

That says something about your cooling setup.
I have heard others say that overclocking fsb on pc2100 DDR has problems with 3Dmark2001 too, I could be wrong but it fits with my problem also as after first loop, errors.. Could be if the memory is rated to pc2100/133 thats it, unless its good quality Crucial or Corsair etc. I dont know alot about the voltage on the memory either, I tried increasing mine to no avail, maybe I didnt go high enough!
At present its happy at 133fsb cas2

<A HREF="http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/story_18170.asp" target="_new">Go home boatpeople</A>

G

I dont know much much about the memory yet so im going to do a little research first. I cant increase the voltages yet because ritgh now im using 128X2 DDR rams that were given to me as service units until my 256 singls DDR ram arrives. All i know about my DDR is that it has a NANIA chipset. But ill do a little research on this and update you as soon as i can. Last night(Philippines time) i was able to reach 826 of 16 loops on the 3d mark then it crashed with an error:
3DMARK unable to load full screen please download your
setting.
DIRECTX ERROR: Unable to load full_???.exe

??? = i forgot to right it down. The error message was something like that. BUt my questions is i can play max payne right now with out any problems. So could this be just a 3DMARK2001 thing? Is my system stable right now?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
3d mark doews this quite a lot if you go that bit too high, which is why its a good test of stability. regarding the multiplier/fsb issue, I'd up the fsb as far as poss as this is whree you will get the most performance.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The problem is your ram. Nania memory is pretty low quality and if your settings are CAS2 I'm suprised you got it to run stable with 133 Front side bus.
I have Epox 8K7A+ with a 1.4 GHz Tbird and I run it at 1575 MHz with 150 MHz FSB. I have a swiftech mc370 heat sink with a delta fan, and my temperatures are normally 50-55 degrees celsius. My computer is rock stable right now My uptime is a few hours away from 6 days without a reboot.
My suggestion to you is to buy some nice Corsair Overclocking ram. The corsair ram is rated to run 150 MHz @ CAS2. I've also purchased some Micron ram that was rated for CAS2.5 but I ran it CAS2 @ 145 MHz.

The nicer the parts in your computer the higher it will overclock.