[SOLVED] overclocking fail ryzen 1600 af with stock cooler and temps too high when stressing.

Jun 14, 2020
so I try overclocking with ryzen master. I have a 1600 af with stock cooler. I can push it to 3700 and 1.25v. anything over or under v crashes the cinebench test and black screen with mouse and keyboard off. I have to press the restart botton to get it going again. the ryzen master stress test passes at 3800 1.4v I havent tried anything higher. I see people doing 3900 with 1.3v stable on youtube and some even 4000 or 4100 with stock coolers.

I stressed 3800 1.4v on cpuz and monitored it on hwmonitor and msi after burner the temps go as high as 111c I stopped the test seeing the it wasnt stopping itself as a falesafe. even on 1.25v 3700 it goes over 85.

I dont have good case ventilation so I keep my case open and the air conditioning on still these numbers are too high.

I need to add another thing that when I was installing the cooler I touched the preinstalled thermalpaste a little and getting the cooler to be screwed in took me like an hour because it as taking too much force and I was scared not to damage anything as it was my first build. I hope you people can easily understand my situation and what im trying to say.

specs; b450 tomahawk
16gb 3000mhz ram (clocked at 2400mhz, cant change it yet)
650w of unknown psu (apparently its a good brand)
vega 56 gpu
256 ssd, 500gb hdd
latest bios and every other driver and update.

I cant access my bios because of some display change issue, I will get onto that later when I have a monitor rather than a tv, it changes to chinese and freezes. apparently some display issue because it was working on the last tv I was using it on.

Im using 4pin instead of 8 pin for cpu

Last edited:
so I try overclocking with ryzen master. I have a 1600 af with stock cooler. I can push it to 3700 and 1.25v. anything over or under v crashes the cinebench test and black screen with mouse and keyboard off. I have to press the restart botton to get it going again. the ryzen master stress test passes at 3800 1.4v I havent tried anything higher. I see people doing 3900 with 1.3v stable on youtube and some even 4000 or 4100 with stock coolers.

I stressed 3800 1.4v on cpuz and monitored it on hwmonitor and msi after burner the temps go as high as 111c I stopped the test seeing the it wasnt stopping itself as a falesafe. even on 1.25v 3700 it goes over 85.

I dont have good case ventilation so I keep my case open and the air conditioning on still these numbers are too high.

I need to add another thing that when I was installing the cooler I touched the preinstalled thermalpaste a little and getting the cooler to be screwed in took me like an hour because it as taking too much force and I was scared not to damage anything as it was my first build. I hope you people can easily understand my situation and what im trying to say.

specs; b450 tomahawk
16gb 3000mhz ram (clocked at 2400mhz, cant change it yet)
650w of unknown psu (apparently its a good brand)
vega 56 gpu
256 ssd, 500gb hdd
latest bios and every other driver and update.

I cant access my bios because of some display change issue, I will get onto that later when I have a monitor rather than a tv, it changes to chinese and freezes. apparently some display issue because it was working on the last tv I was using it on.

Im using 4pin instead of 8 pin for cpu
"Extra" 4 pins are just for that, overclocking and stock cooler is not for OC.

Reactions: feelster