Specs:
Asus p6t deluxe v2
850 watt psu
3 x 4gb Corsair vengence ddr3
Core i7 960
RX 460 4gb (old)
RX 480 8gb msi(new)
3 ocz 128gb running raid 0
Problem: I have a new graphics card because my old one was bottle necked from the overclock that I gave my CPU. It's base is 3.2ghz so I oc it to 4.0ghz hitting 89c about half an hour on a torture test. I know this is extremely hot but this is old is hell and I'm running it to the extreme. Last time I had this stable at 4ghz I had the RX 460 in with only 2 dimms in on a1 and a2 slots (I know is incorrect, it should be a2 and b2 but it worked) windows wasn't recognising the triple channel when I had it installed correct but CPU z did. So at this point I took out the third one and ran them both on a1 and a2 which worked. Now with the new graphics card it gives overclock failed. A new graphics card shouldn't effect ram??? It still had the same settings in the bios and everything but now it's giving me overclock failed.. I tried switching the ram to triple channel ( I realised this now and fixed it) and checked in cpu-z if it was seeing it as triple channel and it was (windows only sees 4gb, idk windows is really wierd on my PC) but cpu-z saw the full 12gb (meanwhile this was booted on everything set to auto) in the bios as soon as I touch the bclk it doesn't boot and says overclock failed. Although last time the same settings worked. I've tried each ram stick and they all work. I'm only 14 went from xbox to PC with only little money learned how to oc from 6 year old YouTube videos all of this is confusing as hell and it would be amazing if you could help me. If you can help me or need any question just ask I can answer, Thank you!!!

i had a similiar issue, and one of the "gurus" (actually pretty sharp individual) posted that the problem isn't with the GPU, but the fact that the GPU is putting more stress on the CPU in terms of communicating with it and requiring instruction sets from it

so basically, A GPU increases the CPU's load
here's a link - i started the thread, and basically i stated that my CPU is stable when running Prime95 without the GPU installed, so i was asking if the GPU had gone south

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1083266/?comment=5927694
and the response a few posts down
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1083266/pc-components/ocing-a-i9-9900k-bsods-windows-mini-dump-files-show-conflict-with-drivers/post/5927694/#5927694

UPDATE - my BSODs stopped when i set AVX offset to -3, which basically drops your OC by 300 MHz whenever the cpu encounters work loads requiring AVX instruction sets

Jan 1, 2019
Yeah, I get what your saying but on mine even doing a little tiny overclock like maybe .1ghz it doesn't boot. I don't think k it had anything to do with the CPU or gpu I think my memory has something up... I've had problems before where it won't run triple channel but fixed that. When the MHz on the dram is not exactly what it's rated for it doesn't boot, but last time it did the only thing I did was fix the ram slots and the new gpu. I have even taken the old one put it back in have everything the same as last time and it still won't boot with a tiny oc... I'm so lost...

sorry, i don't see that in your original post

wish i could help -- MSI has a pretty decent "OC by the numbers" tutorial on their web - some of the nomenclature in their BIOS is slight different but it shouldn't take you a second or two to figure what it correspondes to in your BIOS - that may help remove some of your confusion

https://www.msi.com/blog/intel-9th-cpu-overclocking-5ghz-with-z390-motherboards

Jan 1, 2019
Update: the bclk frequency will not boot into windows if it's surpases 136 or 130, I have no clue why it used to work on 191 but now it just doesn't... Anyone know if I can fix this please help, I just bought that RX 480 and can't use it to it's potential at all