Question Overclocking failed

zeosinclair

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
Hi all,

I've been having an issue with my PC in which when I boot it up I get no image on my screens and the lights on my keyboard and mouse don't turn on. I've left it for a decent length of time and nothing happens until I do a hard reset of my PC at which point I get the opening splash screen and then it shows a screen that says 'overclocking failed, please enter setup to reconfigure your system'. The lights on my mouse and keyboard also come on when I reboot.

I press F1 and get to the BIOS screen but I'm not sure what to do to prevent it from happening again. I had a brief look online and found something suggesting I set the OC to default which I've done but I still get the issue. In order to get out of the BIOS, I just hit escape and exit without saving (when I set to default I made sure I saved the configuration).

Specs wise I have the following

Intel i7-6700K
32GB RAM
128GB M.2 SSD (OS is on this, specifically this model https://www.scan.co.uk/products/128...c-nand-read-2000mb-s-write-650mb-s-300k-83k-i )
500GB regular SSD
Asus Maximus 8 Formula Z170
3TB SEAGATE ST3000DM001 SATA3
Nvidia 8G MSI GTX1080 FoundersEdition

I was contemplating reinstalling Windows onto my normal SSD in case it was a problem with the OS being on the M.2 but thought I would seek some more professional help first.

Any help at all would be fantastic and if there's anything I can add let me know

52779911_622228838219687_2685869996260720640_n.jpg

52504016_309258363116985_1831053147942944768_n.jpg

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If this is happening in the BIOS - your OS won't be playing a part in it.
Have you reset your BIOS / clear CMOS first?
Has this come after you've actually started overclocking?
This can quite often be RAM OC related. I believe there is also a failsafe in place where this message appears whenever you force shutdown with the power button on the board.

Last edited:

zeosinclair

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
I tried clearing CMOS with the button on the back of the board and now it seems like I have to do that most times I load up my PC. As for resetting the BIOS when I get into the BIOS screen, I've tried setting it to default but then when the pc restarts I have the same issue with the pc not loading properly so I don't think it ever sticks.

Should I try resetting the BIOS/CMOS with the battery removal on the MB?
I could try using the USB BIOS Flashback if that would be best

(I'm sorry for the lack of knowledge in regards to all this)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Clearing the CMOS does reset your BIOS - whilst they're not the same thing, you're partly doing the same thing. Shouldn't make a difference whether you use the jumper or the battery method.

I would sooner try installing the latest BIOS version if you haven't already. If you haven't do this first.
Being as this is quite commonly RAM related- have you tried removing all RAM sticks bar 1 and then in a different slot and see if it makes a difference?

zeosinclair

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
I seem to have been able to fix it, I noticed that the frequency of my RAM was lower than what it should be. I've set it to the correct one and also disabled fast boot and now it seems to boot up no problem.

Thanks for all the help :)