Question overclocking, faster ram on locked cpu

1troy2me

Reputable
Mar 21, 2019
hi
still learning to use this great site and computers
current issue skylake i5 6500 on ga z170xp sli, 4x4 crucial ballistix at 2400 ram, sabrent rocket ssd, i read is over clock and could harm cpu memory controller etc. i can ran at 2133 and it defaulting under latest bios to 2400 and i am also able to turn on xmp with this spaeed also but i can not xmp when set to 2133.
my question to the experienced would be at these higher speeds can i cause harm ?
thanks

1troy2me

Reputable
Mar 21, 2019
lastly my other concern is i 2 x 4g crucial ballistic ram running in pc last few years, recently just bought another 2 sticks. now have 4 sticks total all the same only some are older, question could this cause ram issues and if so would it be detected under memory test?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
lastly my other concern is i 2 x 4g crucial ballistic ram running in pc last few years, recently just bought another 2 sticks. now have 4 sticks total all the same only some are older, question could this cause ram issues and if so would it be detected under memory test?
Yes, it can still cause problems. Mixing ram is a gamble, period.
They are only guaranteed to work as sold. Sticks with identical specs simply have a higher chance to work, that's all.

Windows Memory Diagnostic isn't very thorough, so it's entirely possible for a bad combo of ram to slip through it.
AIDA64, Memtest86, and Prime95(blend test)are better for ruling this out.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
well my ram seems stable all 4 modules, next question is the ballisix ram 2400 safe to over clock to 2666 would that harm the ram? thanks
Voltage is what usually kills these things, not speed... unless you were to push for some stupidly high number that would require 1.45V on the internal memory controller, which isn't a good idea for every day use.
The max speed your motherboard supports is 3466, and the voltage setting for that doesn't exceed 1.35V.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z170xp-sli.pdf

TRENDING THREADS