Question Overclocking for CPU Rendering

May 27, 2019
Hi All,

I have a 2290wx and am trying to increase CPU render times (Arnold in Maya). So far, trying to overclock either freezes or shuts down comp...
Temps have also gotten pretty high (70+) and not sure if would damage CPU during long renders

Following are my specs:-

Processor: Ryzen 2990wx
Cooler : Cooler Master AMD Wraith Ripper
Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 64 GB (4x16GB)
GPU: ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1060 Turbo
Mobo: ASUS PRIME X399-A

Please help!

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
From what I have read about the Cool Master Wraith Threadripper, in most cases, one of the fans is no placed in the proper orientation which has required most customers to manually flip the fan. If this is the case for you (which it might be considering how many people I've heard complain about this) then you will need to take the fan a flip it. This could be causing a ton of thermal issues that you would have no way of troubleshooting unless you confirm your fans are in the right direction. Again, I haven't had a hands on look at the cooler, I'm basing this solely on customer reviews. I think it would be a good start for troubleshooting temps and OCing though because a simple flip of the fan will actually allow air to flow through it rather than having a continuous cycle of hot air blasting on the CPU (especially one of those big threadrippers).

May 27, 2019
Thanks for your fast reply! There’s not too much info on flipping the fan around. I took the shroud off the wraith ripper and the fan seems pretty secure...

Does anyone know where to find more info as I don’t want to destroy it?