Overclocking fx 6300 sabertooth 990fx

bazookal07

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hey i just bought a new amd fx 6300 for gaming purposes and am looking to do a basic overclock. I went into my cmos and clicked the perfomance button and turned cool&quiet off and that brought my freq up to around 3.8 from the standard 3.5. Played BF3 for all of 2 mins before it froze tried again same thing. The temp is around 35c and it would play it just fine on the stock setting but as soon as i hit the perfomance tab it would causes the game to crash? I am wondering what i need to turn off and on(cool&quiet, turbo boost,core unlock.....) to start overclocking with this mobo and cpu? If anyone could tell me what exacty to turn off and on to even achieve the basic 4.1 overclock for this cpu that would be great. I have read some other forums and such but nothing specific to this mobo and cpu so i get a little lost.

This is my setup;
AMD fx 6300 cpu
sabertooth 990 fx mobo
sli nvidia gts 450 video cards
16G vengence ram 1600

Solution
Not to sure over the Bulldozer series, But my Phenom II x6 1100T can't have any of them power save options on, CnQ is about and the system will still boot but not stable during idle, but perfectly stable during loud. This was on 3 mobo's I have tested so far.

Either way, These settings might help you, These is what I look for with OCing

1* Disable Auto Vcore, set manual Vcore to 1.4v
2* Adjust LLC (Load Line Calibration)
3* Disable Auto Fan and turn it to max (For stress testing if you have no software to control fans)
4* Disable CnQ (Some mobos/CPU don't like it, disable for now and turn it on later)
5* Disable C1E Power save
6* Disable Spread spectrum (Always disable, even if not OCing)
7* Turn off Turbo core (OC to the Turbo...

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
You should be able to leave c&q and all those other options on. Leave that performance option alone. You need to find your cpu multiplier and increase it in .5 increments until you get to your goal. You should be able to get 400-500mhz more without touching voltages.

Not to sure over the Bulldozer series, But my Phenom II x6 1100T can't have any of them power save options on, CnQ is about and the system will still boot but not stable during idle, but perfectly stable during loud. This was on 3 mobo's I have tested so far.

Either way, These settings might help you, These is what I look for with OCing

1* Disable Auto Vcore, set manual Vcore to 1.4v
2* Adjust LLC (Load Line Calibration)
3* Disable Auto Fan and turn it to max (For stress testing if you have no software to control fans)
4* Disable CnQ (Some mobos/CPU don't like it, disable for now and turn it on later)
5* Disable C1E Power save
6* Disable Spread spectrum (Always disable, even if not OCing)
7* Turn off Turbo core (OC to the Turbo frequency that way all core are at turbo speeds)
8* HTT keep near 2000mhz (Some programs of mine actually improved with it at 2400mhz)
9* Set CPU-NB to near 3000mhz (Again this is for the Phenom II, not sure how the FX will perform with a higher CPU-NB)
10* Set CPU-NB Voltage to 1.3v (Thats if you OC it, don't add volts if you didn't OC it)
11* Add a bit more volts to the RAM (1.55 is my ram, I have it set to 1.6v, Helps with stabilizing an OC at times with a high CPU-NB)
12* Stress test, WATCH TEMPS!!!! (The max safe temp on that is 62c, So keep it below that during full load and all should be fine.

I use Prime95 and test for a few hours, and use core temp to shut down the PC if Im not watching and the temps get outta control, but core temps are kinda funny at times, mine are always 13c off from the CPU temp.

Now If I were you, I would only OC the CPU for now, with the multi, Disable any power save settings and set the volts accordingly for the CPU only, Then once everything is stable and in control, OC the CPU-NB and its Volts and test again. 20 Min test with Prime95 is good for in between tweaking, But for long term, test for a 3 - 4 hours or more. A bad CPU-NB can cause BSOD or a error on a core and Prime95 with stop a worker on that core that got the error, means raise the Voltage on the CPU-NB or lower the clock on it.

Solution

lol no its not, 1.4v is totally safe for the FX6300 You need 1.43v on most FX6300 to hit 4.5 4.7ghz on some of them, seen 5ghz with a vcore of 1.5v on an air cooler, AMD is much different then Intel and can take more volts. So please do some research before replying. They do have the same max safe volts at a Phenom II up to 1.55v, any higher then well is not under warranty, but can possibly fry.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

I was reading through a thread earlier today where someone was blindly following a guide for overclocking by adjusting voltages. He was new to overclocking and didn't really know what was normal. He read "increase the vcore by .05 volts" as "increase the vcore by .5 volts". Needless to say, he had to go out and buy a new processor.

I read two threads where people accidentally plugged in the wrong numbers for a ram overclock. They troubleshot for days trying to figure out why their system kept getting bsod's before eventually realizing their mistake.

There are too many variables for you to be giving him numbers to plug in. A small mistake can often kill components. Even if they don't fry them, they are likely to lower the life of them, increase power draw, and increase heat. Someone that doesn't know about overclocking doesn't know what to look for or how to fix it. So please, by all means, help teach him how to overclock properly and the problems to look out for. Please do not just give him numbers to plug in without explaining what they are. That's how problems happen.

All yeah, i understand where your coming from, But the CPU would hit its throttle shutdown why before damage would happen, Mobos not a days have the built in same with the CPU's. Either way, The only way to learn about it, is to do it after reading some guides, even after you get a hang of it, its pretty much straight forward, CPU Can take pretty much any volts you throw at it,as long as its under its throttle point and kept cool. The Phenom II's had a max temp of 62c, but it theory the could take up to 90c and be fine, but thermal shutdown kicked in at 70c on the 6 cores anyway, 75c on my old x4 940.

But either way, setting the CPU to 1.4v is well within its safe zone, even with LLC kicking in and overvolting it, depending how high it gos, is should not ever touch 1.5v unless its a crappy motherboard which his is not.

hey thought id help you out since i play bf3 and was experiencing the same issues even not overclocked. if you have catalyst control center and a nvidia graphics card remove it. it causes bf3 to lock up or crash for some reason even if catalyst isnt running. it drove me crazy trying to play a single match of bf3. also this bios is a little weird it wont let me up the voltage it keeps staying at 1.39 vcore. but if you turn turbo off you can run 4.545ghz no problem . i just want to up the multiplier to use the turbo while upping the voltages and fsb and it when i save it it restarts then reboots again and lowers my fsb to 216 and keeps my voltage the same and returns my settings to stock when when using the turbo. driving me crazy i shut of power saver and cool and quiet , must be some other setting that needs to be shut off. this bios is really confusing compaired to.others. so many more settings. let me know what you find out

samraptor

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
consider downloading some stress testing software such as occt, prime 95, furmark, memtest86+

do this to check if your system is stable, constantly monitor tempratures and results for 30mins min and then check back every 10mins to see how its going on.
leave tests running for about 3-4hours to be sure.
if temps are fine and there are no system crashes make sure you have latest drivers.

jakethomas97

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
I use AMD overdrive, an official amd program that simplifies overclocking, and I would recommend it to anyone who needs the occasional or everyday over clock.
for the fx 6300 vishera, my processor, it is perfect. 4 Ghz is achievable without touching a voltage. the only one I recommend touching is the cpu VID (first voltage displayed).

for those who said adjusting this is a no-no, keep in mind that turbo core sets my voltage by default to a 1.4125 volts, and on idle my pc is .88 volts. I only change my voltage to 1.4 but 1.428 is still not in any red zones.

here is how overdrive is used by me:

1. Simply enough you agree to the terms that overclocking would void a standard processor warranty
2. then you go to clock/voltage.
3.go to the turbo core button and uncheck it (for off) then press ok. (again everything is in this program)
4. change the core multiplier by .5 (core 0 changes all the core multipliers which is why the rest are blurry and unusable) -if you look higher on the screen the target speed is what you are changing so you can watch it go up and down. I safely use 4Ghz without changing the voltage but if you want you can go to 4.1 or 4.2 with a change in voltage
5. if going to 4.1 or 4.2 GHz change the cpu vid (core voltage) to 1.4. this is safe for an fx6300 or any vishera (bulldozer 2 processor)

click apply and your computer screen will flicker a moment. It's all good your core was just adjusting itself. Now your current speed might not have risen because your computer is not under load but if the target speed is sound, your computer is ready to go. Keep an eye on temperature. 60 degrees celcius is the max safe temp I will accept for my vishera.