Overclocking FX-8320 with 990XA-UD3. How far can it go?

IceVip

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I just sold all of my old parts(mobo/cpu/ram) and i have already bought 2x4GB 1600 teamgroup ram and a fx-8320 but I'm still waiting for my motherboard to arrive i have a cm v6 gt ready to rock the 8320 but my question is can that motherboard handle 4.6-4.8Ghz that is my goal.
My psu is 550w bronze but i doubt that will be a barrier.

Solution
Well it's anyones guess how far you can get, just raise the frequency and the voltage little by little and see where you get. Can't really give you a definitive OC.

ProWilma

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Depends on the luck of the draw, you could have gotten a good overclocking CPU or a bad OC CPU and you'd better provide the name of the Motherboard. What other components do you have? The 550W can be a barrier if you have a GTX 770 or something like that

neieus

Distinguished
Just like mentioned above it's luck of the draw because you can have the exact same identical setup and someone else as there's no guarantee you will reach the same overclock. So instead you should try to find out what the average overclock is since that would be a good starting point to aim for and surpass.

IceVip

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Well i know none of you can say "you'll get 4.8 for sure" but I'm asking this because first i ordered ASRock 990FX Extreme3 and it didn't arrive on time so i just started reading about oc n stuff while waiting for it, i came onto a thing called Power Phase, the asrock has 4+1 and the gigabyte 8+2 it has something to do with overclocking and ppl say that 4+1 may overheat and damage itself when using a cpu such as the one i bought, so i just cancelled the asrock 990fx extreme3 and ordered the gigabyte. Because i wont be running this cpu on stock for sure.. who would with a CM V6 GT.