Overclocking FX6300 Ta990FXE Help

helstonrampersad

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I would like to overclock my pc safely with out shooting in the dark, having some blue screen when trying to render videos in sony vegas

As of now cpu is @ 4.00 with stock settings

PC Specs

CPU:AMD FX-6300 Vishera cooled by CORSAIR H100
MB:BIOSTAR TA990FXE
GPU:ASUS Radeon HD7790-DC2OC-1GD5
RAM:CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
PSU:SeaSonic SSP-550RT 550W ATX12V

Since im water cooled would like to push it as much as i can safely, ive have been @ 5.0 before but could not replicate the setting to do it again.

Solution
That motherboard has 4+1 phase power. I'm surprised that you got it to 5.0 GHz. Be careful pushing it so high as this draws a lot of current.

4.4-4.5 GHz should be possible with very low CPU temperatures. But the power draw is likely going to limit you. With or without LLC, the voltage droop and heat on the VRMs will likely cause instability as you get higher.

This is a very good guide for overclocking Bulldozer that also applies to Piledriver (Vishera):

http://www.overclock.net/t/1140459/bulldozer-overclocking-guide-performance-scaling-charts-max-ocs-ln2-results-coming

I would keep your CPU core voltage at or below 1.475v max until you can get a better motherboard.

Something like a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P has 8+2 phase power and...
That motherboard has 4+1 phase power. I'm surprised that you got it to 5.0 GHz. Be careful pushing it so high as this draws a lot of current.

4.4-4.5 GHz should be possible with very low CPU temperatures. But the power draw is likely going to limit you. With or without LLC, the voltage droop and heat on the VRMs will likely cause instability as you get higher.

This is a very good guide for overclocking Bulldozer that also applies to Piledriver (Vishera):

http://www.overclock.net/t/1140459/bulldozer-overclocking-guide-performance-scaling-charts-max-ocs-ln2-results-coming

I would keep your CPU core voltage at or below 1.475v max until you can get a better motherboard.

Something like a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P has 8+2 phase power and will OC that CPU well. I got my FX 6350 to 4.950 GHz stable on this board, 4.8375 GHz for 24x7 operation.

Solution

helstonrampersad

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

How bad is my motherboard and if im going to replace it can you recommend some with great bios software and is it possible to get one with a temp reading on it my motherboard as it is has a cpu temp reading built into the board and what does 4+1 phase power and 8+2 phase power

bartholomew

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Your board is good enough for the fx6300.
You can easily get it to 4.5ghz with proper cooling. That board should handle it very well.

Its not the phase count but the quality of the vrms that matters.
The ta990fxe has good quality vrms, made for overclocking.

with your h100i, you could get to 4.7~4.9 , if your chip is capable.
One thing you could do is put your stock amd fan on your vrms, that would significantly drop your socket temps & keep your vrms cool.

helstonrampersad

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

I have the h100 no the h100i dont know if that make a difference and where can i locate the vrms?
Im still reading that article that you gave me earlier
this is a pic on my board can you highlight the vrms
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5714/Biostar%20TA990FXE%20Top.jpg