[SOLVED] Overclocking fx8350 crash

Oct 20, 2020
Firs of all i have little to no experience in overclocking. I have an fx8350 on a msi 970 gaming motherboard, and i have been trying to overclock using the amd overdrive. At the moment overdrive says my target voltage is 1.3750V, but current volatge is 1.4125V and target speed 4000MHz but current speed is sitting at ~4100MHz. Whenever i touch the core multiplier to increase MHz my pc crashes, even though i have tried to slightly increase the voltage.
CPU-Z&OverDrive

Solution
AIDA64 and HWInfo64
View: https://imgur.com/a/racGdMZ

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
CPU: FX8350
CPU cooler: Noctua DH-15
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Super
PSU: Corsair VS650
RAM: Kingston 16Gb 1600MHz
Hard Drive: Samsung 860 evo 500gb ssd
WD blue 1Tb
Let me know if i missed something

Thanks for the stats apina as they provide good information.:)

Stats show your temps are in check at 4100MHz and core voltage at 1.375V on the core is stable atm.
You do have some Overclocking overhead however imo your MAX Overclock is going to be about 4.6MHz stable using the current AIR cooler.
As you chase higher frequencies you have to increase core voltage which in turn raises temps...
Oct 20, 2020
Ok.. first of all

Just go into the bios and overclock. Why do you have to use amd overdrive? Unoverclock everything you have overclocked, restart in the bios.

Firs of all i have little to no experience in overclocking. I have an fx8350 on a msi 970 gaming motherboard, and i have been trying to overclock using the amd overdrive. At the moment overdrive says my target voltage is 1.3750V, but current volatge is 1.4125V and target speed 4000MHz but current speed is sitting at ~4100MHz. Whenever i touch the core multiplier to increase MHz my pc crashes, even though i have tried to slightly increase the voltage.
CPU-Z&OverDrive

When you have gotten rid of AMD Overdrive, Clear your CMOS to bring Bios back to default.
Only Overclock within Bios.
Use the multiplier in 200MHz increments and stress testing at each stage. Don't try to jump to your target frequency in one hit. That's not how overclocking works.

Reason for stress testing is to observe your temperatures and assess your coolers performance. You also need to observe rail voltages to ensure the PSU is performing well under load.

Review what you can do with your Bios as there are a number of changes you need to make in order to keep the system stable as you progress. We can help with that.

Search for Overclocking guides and vids for your specific setup.
Go to youtube and search using "vid overclocking FX8350 and msi 970 gaming motherboard"
There are many to choose from.

Oct 20, 2020
Alright AMD Overdrive is gone.
I have overclocked through small increments on the multiplier and bus speed where I am now at 20.5 and bus speed on 215MHz which equals at 4.4GHz.
At this point it 2 cores fail instantly the prime95 test.
According to cpu-z my volts are at 1.416V. How reliable is cpu-z to read the voltage. My bios doesnt let me to directly set the voltage, it allows me to set it on for example -0.0500V. In my bios the cpu voltage reads 1.408, would setting it on -0.0500V lower it to ~1.3500V.

And why does p95 fail on two cores? It doesn't tell you does it? A dangerous program to use for the beginner.

Download AIDA64 and HWInfo64 to put on your desktop side by side.
In AIDA64 go to the Tools menu and run the stress test for CPU, FPU and Cache for ten mins.

Take screen shots at the 10min mark and upload to a host site so I can review. IMGUR is a good one so obtain the BBurl as a link to here. I will be wanting to see the Thermal max of your CPU at 10mins and rail voltages in both AIDA64 and HWinfo64.
CPUz is reliable however 1.416V on the core is a little high. Change it to 1.350V and see how you go. Do not exceed 1.450V on the core for longevity.
CPU voltage is of concern regarding your CPU thermal and the main sensor in HWInfo64 is the T-die readout.
Other settings in Bios for stability will be given once you report back.
Also list your system specs and the CPU cooler your using.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020
Im at work now, but here goes:
Specs:
WD blue 1Tb

Gonna test out AIDA64 and HWInfo64 when i get home.
Thank you so far for the help

Oct 20, 2020
And why does p95 fail on two cores? It doesn't tell you does it? A dangerous program to use for the beginner.

Download AIDA64 and HWInfo64 to put on your desktop side by side.
In AIDA64 go to the Tools menu and run the stress test for CPU, FPU and Cache for ten mins.

Take screen shots at the 10min mark and upload to a host site so I can review. IMGUR is a good one so obtain the BBurl as a link to here. I will be wanting to see the Thermal max of your CPU at 10mins and rail voltages in both AIDA64 and HWinfo64.
CPUz is reliable however 1.416V on the core is a little high. Change it to 1.350V and see how you go. Do not exceed 1.450V on the core for longevity.
CPU voltage is of concern regarding your CPU thermal and the main sensor in HWInfo64 is the T-die readout.
Other settings in Bios for stability will be given once you report back.
Also list your system specs and the CPU cooler your using.

AIDA64 and HWInfo64

Specs:
WD blue 1Tb

AIDA64 and HWInfo64

Specs:
WD blue 1Tb

Thanks for the stats apina as they provide good information.:)

Stats show your temps are in check at 4100MHz and core voltage at 1.375V on the core is stable atm.
You do have some Overclocking overhead however imo your MAX Overclock is going to be about 4.6MHz stable using the current AIR cooler.
As you chase higher frequencies you have to increase core voltage which in turn raises temps exponentially and that in turn also demands more of the PSU. I'm concerned at the graph in AIDA showing considerable overvolt under load at 13.728V

Your issues will be the PSU voltage regulation control and the ability of your cooler to cope. You should also check the temps of your VRMs on the MB.

BTW: You can Overclock the FSB which can provide different results however I personally like to stick with using the Multiplier and keep my FSB at 200 initially.

Go into your Bios and change your multiplier to 23 for a 4600MHz target and keep your core voltage at 1.375V.
Disable AMD "Cool and Quiet" and disable "C" States which are power saving features and can spoil your Overclock.
Set your LLC (Load Line Calibration) to mid range 4-5 to prevent voltage droop when high load is applied.

If the system rejects your OC then raise core voltage in .01V steps till the system boots. Do not exceed 1.42V.
Conduct another stress test and report the results.

Last edited:
Solution

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
Fx cpus from what ive heard will do 4.5ghz pretty easily so if you feel like youve had enough experience than go ahead and oc that fx to your hearts content assuming you dont yeet the voltages over 1.5, me personally i go up to 1.8 but i do sort of know what im doing, i use lga 775 and yes that is wayy above the safe voltage for wolfdale but as long as you dont go over 100-150mv from the safe voltage your cpu should be safe, and overclocking with fsb should increase overall system speed but dont mess with it unless you know what youre doing, i use 775 so fsb is the only option, also to kill a cpu of this age you would need around 500-800mv over the safe voltages to actually kill it, i use that as my guideline but its not reccomended unless you have extra cpus laying around.

TRENDING THREADS