[SOLVED] Overclocking an i5-2500K ?

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
I Have a I5 2500K and i want to overclock but i am new to overclocking and never done that before

is That motherBoard " Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V " overclockable ? if Not Do You Know Any DDR3 Good PRice Motherboards That Can OverClock That CPU and RAM Aswell .

If Yes i've seen people reaching 4.8Ghz on That CPU (i5 2500k) Does each Motherboard Has a Different Max Overclocking or They are all the same i mean will every motherboard that can overclock can make CPU reach 5ghz or some will and some will not ? that's what i don't understand yet

Last edited:
Reactions: Benchapman2024

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
You will need to invest in P67 or a Z68 chipset motherboard if you'd like to overclock your K suffix processor. To answer the question about the board you have, no, it will not allow you to overclock the processor. Where you're going, you're going to need this info.
Okey but you still didn't tell me is each motherboard has a different max limit for CPU overclock or they are all the same ?
for example lets take a motherboard Z68 and P67 and we will overclock i5 2500k on Them , they will allow for example both to reach 5Ghz ? or one will allow and the other one will have low Max Clock ?

i've seen people overclocking i5 2500K to 5Ghz

USAFRet

Titan
Okey but you still didn't tell me is each motherboard has a different max limit for CPU overclock or they are all the same ?
for example lets take a motherboard Z68 and P67 and we will overclock i5 2500k on Them , they will allow for example both to reach 5Ghz ? or one will allow and the other one will have low Max Clock ?

i've seen people overclocking i5 2500K to 5Ghz
The upper limit on an overclock depends primarily on the CPU.

Some (most?) may never ever reach a magical "5GHz", no matter what motherboard it is on.

USAFRet

Titan
i googled that and i got people telling they have reached that + benchmarks as well you can check

what's the max Overclock for i5 2500K you think ?
Yes, people post a vid showing their CPU can get to 5GHz.

What you don't see is the thousands of people whose CPU cannot get past 4.x GHz.

Your CPU is not their CPU.

Also, you need to look at the cooling situation and workload.
Was that 5.0 GHz a momentary thing, just to post a big number? Or long term stable?
What is their cooling situation, ambient temp, etc, etc.

Finally, WHY the quest for 5 GHz?
Is it just to say your CPU was overclocked to 5? Or are you looking for actual performance gains? What will this overclock actually do for you?

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
Yes, people post a vid showing their CPU can get to 5GHz.

What you don't see is the thousands of people whose CPU cannot get past 4.x GHz.

Your CPU is not their CPU.

Also, you need to look at the cooling situation and workload.
Was that 5.0 GHz a momentary thing, just to post a big number? Or long term stable?
What is their cooling situation, ambient temp, etc, etc.

Finally, WHY the quest for 5 GHz?
Is it just to say your CPU was overclocked to 5? Or are you looking for actual performance gains? What will this overclock actually do for you?
Yes i want to get performance of my CPU i aim at 4.7-4.9GHZ Max will that be possible ?

Like has been said before, every 2500k will overclock differently, so nobody can guarantee how high your CPU can overclock.

My current 2500k when paired with a 240mm AIO and high end Z68 motherboard was able to do 5.2ghz and was stable enough to run cinebench. However, this required quite a lot more voltage than I was comfortable with, as well as caused my AIOs fans to ramp up quite audibly. For this reason, I backed off the clockspeed and reduced the voltage a lot.

Given my experiences with multiple 2500k CPUs, I would expect most 2500k CPUs to do at least 4.5ghz with safe voltage.

For the motherboard:

Only P67/Z68/Z77 chipsets will all allow overclocking the 2500k. B75 will not. Feature wise, Z68 and P67 are nearly identical, but P67 does not support integrated graphics where Z68 does (with exceptions). Z77 has out of the box support for 3rd generation CPUs, and better USB3/Sata3 support, as well as PCIE 3 on 3rd generation CPUs.

In addition to a good motherboard, you will need a good CPU cooler.

In all honesty, while overclocking is very fun (to me at least), swapping out your board and cooler could easily run you 75-100 bucks, which does not make much financial sense to me. Even if you get a great overclock to 5ghz, you are unlikely to be blown away by the performance increases in games.

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
The CPU in your hand may be able to OC to 4.9GHz.
Another copy of that same CPU, bought the same day from the same place, may only OC to 4.7GHz.
A different one may OC to 5.1GHz.

Literally, different silicon.
Seems Acceptable , One last question how can i know that The Overclock is stable i mean how can i know if it passes a Certain GHZ it will not be stable and voltage stuff is it monitored , if yes how can i see it and what's the voltage that i shouldn't go above those all my questions for now

thanks !

alexbirdie

Respectable
My experience:

Although stable in Prime95 , Furmark, etc., last check was gaming. If then stable, it's ok.

Sample: I did some overclocking with RAM. All tests were OK.
But when gaming I had some few crashes during a day. And I know from my son's PC ( identical to my own), that with the same games he did not notice any crashes.

Then I reduced RAM-subtimings to my son's values, and voila, no more crashes. After some further fine-tuning I managed to get it stable , too, with improved timings.

That means: Heavy gaming will be the very best stability-test. Please do not ask me, why. I do not know.