[SOLVED] overclocking gtx 1050

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
so i have a gtx 1050 gigabyte windforce edition
i wanted to know if this settings is safe because this card takes from the pcie slot only

+200 core clock
+800 memory clock

and if there is better settings than this that i can do please tell me

Solution
no i mean the msi afterburner not nvidia control panel there is a bar called power limit someone said in a video you should do the power limit and temp limit to max should i do that?
You can crank them all the way up, if you wish, and it won't harm anything. The parameters will not exceed what is dictated in the gpu's vbios.
In other words, you can't kill the card unless you hack the bios or spill liquid on it.

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Come on explain it a little better rgd1101,

But again :)
There is no “safe” oc cause it has many many variables to say its safe. Its like if you drive your car 120km/h on a 90km/h road is it safe?
Probably but a lot of things can go wrong.

You need to test and find out your “safe” settings, if the temps are ok under load (under 75-80c) and if it doesnt crash your computer i would call it safe.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
+200 core clock is definitely not stable.
10 and 20 series cards should all be capable of +100 core. Past that, there's very little headroom.

The memory clock is what you can crank up, but did you work your way up to +800? That seems a little high.
Test with:
Msi Kombustor: if it finds errors/artifacts, turn the memory clock down. The longer you test for, the better.
Unigine Heaven: if you notice artifacts, turn the clock down. The longer the test, the better.
Asus Realbench: 8hr stress test run. It'll stop if it finds errors.

Reactions: Solidjake

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
+200 core clock is definitely not stable.
10 and 20 series cards should all be capable of +100 core. Past that, there's very little headroom.

The memory clock is what you can crank up, but did you work your way up to +800? That seems a little high.
Test with:
Msi Kombustor: if it finds errors/artifacts, turn the memory clock down. The longer you test for, the better.
Unigine Heaven: if you notice artifacts, turn the clock down. The longer the test, the better.
Asus Realbench: 8hr stress test run. It'll stop if it finds errors.
but i saw someone overclocked this card +175 and +500 and it was all good in benchmarks his channel is called NJ tech

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Silicon quality varies from card to card.
One card may be able to push +175, another can get 150, and one may not even be able to go over 105.
That's why you have to run your card through tests - you can't just apply someone else's OC.
oh so i need to figure out what is the best settings for my card like adding 40+ and see if it is okay then add 40+ again and so on right?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yep.
I tried using a Msi's OC Scanner software, but found it was too aggressive with core clock OCs. My card doesn't seem to like core clocks over 110, yet this program kept pushing numbers like 130s, 140s - even 164, and they all said '90%' confidence, until I actually tested them...
Memory OC is what these gpus seem to like anyway, so not a big deal for me.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Yep.
I tried using a Msi's OC Scanner software, but found it was too aggressive with core clock OCs. My card doesn't seem to like core clocks over 110, yet this program kept pushing numbers like 130s, 140s - even 164, and they all said '90%' confidence, until I actually tested them...
Memory OC is what these gpus seem to like anyway, so not a big deal for me.
thank u last thing should i do the power limit to max in msi afterburner or not cause my card only take from pcie (75w only)

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
It doesn't really matter which one you choose.
-Adaptive: the gpu basically idles when it's not being used to save power
-Max Performance: runs at max regardless of what you're doing
Either one is better than the default Optimal setting.
no i mean the msi afterburner not nvidia control panel there is a bar called power limit someone said in a video you should do the power limit and temp limit to max should i do that?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can crank them all the way up, if you wish, and it won't harm anything. The parameters will not exceed what is dictated in the gpu's vbios.
In other words, you can't kill the card unless you hack the bios or spill liquid on it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.