Overclocking GTX 1060 3GB Concerns

oriolesrock100

Commendable
Sep 10, 2018
So tonight I overclocked my GTX 1060 3GB to try and get a little more out of it, and I was using msi afterburner to overclock it and heaven benchmark to test it. I did what it said from multiple sources online, which was to move the clock speed up ~20-30 MHz, test, make sure there aren't any errors, and repeat. Just for reference, I put the max temp. limit at 84 degrees celcius. Once I got the card to +205 MHz and the performance was still increasing with no errors, I started to get concerned and stopped. Although there are no errors that I could tell, I just wanted to confirm that overclocking a 1060 3GB by 205 MHz is safe as long as the temp stays at max 83 degrees and the benchmark doesn't show any artifacting or chopiness. Additionally, is overclocking a GPU in general safe? Every source I seem to look at says it is, and call me skeptical, but I don't want to fry my parts. Sorry that I'm kind of new to this sort of stuff, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Seems you got lucky with your GPU. Hitting +200 is really solid. If the gpu doesn't make games or computer crash, and temps are fine, then no worries.

I've had my GPU overclocked for a solid 3yrs. I pushed it up and up until it crashed, then backed it down. Since then it has been smooth sailing.

Personally I always use MSI Afterburner, which works with all GPUs. I like it cuz I can make custom fan profiles too and see data vs time. Did you use it?
Seems you got lucky with your GPU. Hitting +200 is really solid. If the gpu doesn't make games or computer crash, and temps are fine, then no worries.

I've had my GPU overclocked for a solid 3yrs. I pushed it up and up until it crashed, then backed it down. Since then it has been smooth sailing.

Personally I always use MSI Afterburner, which works with all GPUs. I like it cuz I can make custom fan profiles too and see data vs time. Did you use it?

Solution