Overclocking gtx 770 Twin Frozr to gtx 770 Lightning sli configuration?

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Hi, I bought a MSI gtx 770 lightning a year ago and I am ready for SLI, but the 770 lightning is discontinued and the only thing I can think of is to get a gtx 770 twin frozr.

So my question is I have never over clocked a GPU, how do I Over clock the Frozr GPU to match my prized Lightning GPU?

is it a easy task or should I give up and get a second hand GTX Lightning off Ebay or something, since I can't find one anywhere?

Solution
Yeah its very easy. Install MSI afterburner, install GPU-z.

Open both, move the GPU clock slider and memory clock sliders up and hit apply, compare speeds of both cards with GPUz.

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks for the speedy reply!

Is there any disadvantages to getting the frozr instead of the gtx lightning?

because the lightning is always more expensive?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
The lightning is great if you are doing crazy overclocks with water or LN2, but this setup will be totally fine for SLI. Put the lightning in the first (top) slot as that one tends to get hotter and the Lightning has slightly better cooler.

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks again for the reply.

Is There a good accurate free temp program that I can use to watch my temperatures for over clocking?

I have Afterburner, installed on my computer, but I was always nervous to try to over clock the GPU or my processor in fear that I would fry them out.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Afterburner and GPU-z can both monitor temps. If you go into the settings of afterburner you can choose to have the GPU temps on screen while you benchmark or play games (Tick the OSD option for GPU temp).

If you only overclock a little you cant hurt it, worst you will get is a driver crash really.