overclocking help i7 3970x ,asus rampage iv black edition

rooy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
hello i want help to overclock (4,5ghz) my pc i dont know about voltages ...any guide?
i must overclock my ram too? g.skill 32gb 2400mhz
cooling: corsair h100i liquid cooling

Nuclear101

Honorable
I will recommend changing the CPU voltage to a MAXIMUM of 0.05 volts, as any higher could damage your CPU. I recommend slowly raising the CPU voltage until you get to the maximum safe voltage I recommend. You actually do not want to overclock RAM, as that places more stress on the CPU and possibly lower your overclock stability.

Nuclear101

Honorable

Slowly adjust the core clock eg. from 3.3 to 3.5 GHz (200MHz increments) and run Prime95 for 15-20 minutes. If it doesn't crash, then keep going up. If it does crash, lower back to the highest safe GHz eg. 3.7GHz and you're done.

Nuclear101

Honorable
I recommend going to 3.7 GHz, then 4.0 GHz, 4.2 GHz if you're lucky, 4.5 GHz for the best silicon (this is a real saying, as some CPU's were more "perfect"ly cut than others, allowing for higher overclocks), 4.7 for exotic cooling (eg. Liquid Nitrogen).

blueranger

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

I have exact same setup except I have Corsair H80i and 1200axi supply.

I was having trouble getting the system to be stable let alone overclocking. However, I overcame the hurdle and I'm proud to say that I have a rock solid setting :) And running the CPU at 4.2 Ghz to 4.338GHz under heavy load testing (p95) My current setting is even more stable than optimized setting as system does not shutdown anymore. ASUS need to fix this as it may discourage some folks as out of the box experience is not so GOOD. Do you experience sudden system shutdown ?

To get good overclocking you need to make sure you have good thermal paste (I used PK-3 from prolimateh). I put a thin yet even amount of thermal paste on both CPU and heatsink. The PK-3 is harder to spread than the famous AS5. The CPU temp never goes above 80C ( I use core temp 1.0 RC6). H80i temp vs CPU temp is ~20C difference at full load stress testing.

Make sure you have air flow across the VRM. It is very important to get stable voltage which will allow you to overclock better. I have to change my fan profile from quiet to balance to over come this. But I will purchase an antec spotcool for this in the future and maybe run my H80i fans in quiet mode (or quiet / balance mode).

Under system stress testing your CPU frequency tend to go down to 3.5Ghz (base frequency) and power = ~150W, to over come this you need to change the BCLK. Intel CPU tries hard to keep the CPU running at TDP, if you adjust the BCLK away from 100Mhz, the CPU firmware will de-activate this feature and allow you to run it above 150W TDP, thus allowing you to overclock above base frequency. I have good results with CPU Bus clock strap to 125Mhz than 100Mhz. My CPU power can go up to 180W and stay there for some time.

Sorry for the long ranting. Here are the important bios setup, the rest are set to default:

Let me know how it goes!!!!

==== Extreme Tweaker =====
Ai Overclock Tunner = X.M.P.
X.M.P = Profile #1 (DDR3-2401 10-12-12-31-2N-1.65V..)
BCLK Frequency = 131.5 <-- Adjust this higher or lower to overclock your CPU
CPU Strap = 125Mhz
CPU Core Ratio = Sync All Cores
Core Ratio Limit = 35 <-- adjust this higher or lower base on how well your CPU can overclock
CPU VCORe Voltag = Manual
CPU VCORE Manual Voltage = 1.3000 <-- Not sure if this help, default is Auto
===============DIGI+Power Control==============
CPU Load-Line Calibration = Ultra High
CPU Current Capability = 180%
CPU Power Duty Control = Extreme
VCCSA Load-Line Calibration = High
VCCSA Current Capability =130%
PCH 1.1V Switching Freq = 1.3Vx

Sam66er

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Let the Bio do the job
BCLK frequency = 100.0
CPU strap = AUTO
Core ratio = 45
CPU Vcore = Manual
Input = Auto
VCCSA = Manual
Input = Auto

LLC = auto
all remain default

You will get 4.5 Ghz
Vcore = 1.41
A bit on high side but ok if your temp allow. IF you want lower Vcore just switch Vcore to numeric input instead of auto.

Mine currently run 4930k P9X79 Pro on OC 4.6 ghz
Vcore = 1.435 temp not more then 65 degree super stable

blueranger

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

Setting VCORE above 1.4V should not be done as this can damage the CPU permanently or reduce the life of it. I would not advise setting it that high. According to Intel datasheet (page 62/117). the absolute max for VCORE (VCC) is 1.4V.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/4th-gen-core-i7-lga2011-datasheet-vol-1.pdf

I would not advise setting the above setting on a RIVE BE. On my RIVE BE, if you do not manually set the LLC above "HIGH" the system is completely unstable /w 3970x even with load optimal default. System can spontaneously shutdown under heavy system stress..

blueranger

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

Setting VCORE above 1.4V should not be done as this can damage the CPU permanently or reduce the life of it. I would not advise setting it that high. According to Intel datasheet (page 62/117). the absolute max for VCORE (VCC) is 1.4V.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/4th-gen-core-i7-lga2011-datasheet-vol-1.pdf

I would not advise setting the above setting on a RIVE BE. On my RIVE BE, if you do not manually set the LLC above "HIGH" the system is completely unstable /w 3970x even with load optimal default. System can spontaneously shutdown under heavy system stress..

blueranger

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

blueranger

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

Sam66er

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
that only guide line of highest Vcore this board give (TPU must enable) for beginner then from that voltage work it downward till perfect (TPU Off)
If you don't have info how many voltage you must go or no info on internet helping you the figure. This will really help provided you must have a good CPU cooler as wat above mention is correct not more 1.4 v .
But i try = temp ok not running for 24/7 = ok
I try to work it down and post the result !

OK
TPU off
DRAM auto
SysC all core ratio to 46
Vcore manual
Manual input = 1.39 (actual full load 1.385)
VCCSA manual
Input = auto
yield = 4600 Mhz
Temp run much lower then previous (more then 1.4 v) more then or = 4700 OC all blue screen. Still can lower Vcore and OC more by using BLCK lower ratio. but no time. Will post if success.
Forget to say you have a very nice Mobo, i am almost tempted to buy this piece and thrown away mine .......but still looking for sponsor !!:>

30 dec 2013 - 4930k on P9X79 pro OC to 4700 Mhz Vcore - 1.480 v temp at highest load not more then 55 degree C (invent new cooling method)

Ai Overclock Tunner = X.M.P.
X.M.P = Profile #1 2133 mhz
BCLK Frequency = 100.00
CPU Strap = Auto
Core Ratio Limit = 47
CPU VCORe Voltag = Manual
CPU VCORE Manual Voltage = 1.48
VCCSA manual = 1.10
VTTCPU Voltage = 1.10
Other then that will be all default = auto

CPU Load-Line Calibration = High
CPU Current Capability = 130%
VCCSA Load-Line Calibration = Regular
VCCSA Current Capability =120%
All Freq = On auto
CPU spread spectrum = disable
Power duty control = t probe

CPU power phase = optimized
Dram ab current capability = 120%
Dram ab voltage frequency = auto
Dram ab power phase = optimized
dram cd current cab = 120% voltage frequency = auto
got auto put auto. got numeric input 120%, chose only optimized

Remenber to disable ASUS -
AT cpu config disable intel adative thermal monitor and Monitor menu disable anti surge suppoprt.

Got to over 1.41 v to get 4800 mhz. so far i never see below 1.4 v can OC 4930k to 4800 mhz.. You have select a K suffice chip mean Overclock mean high voltage high temp low life span else select a non K suffice and do nothing except core ratio adjustable to 40x.

blueranger

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

Latest bios version 507, seems to have fixed stability issue of sudden shutdown I described above. Thanks you ASUS !!! Overclocking the 3970x is much easier now and seems you can leave a lot of settings in the "auto' or default in the bios.

Sam66er

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Max that i can run on 4500 Mhz with Qaud channel 2133 mhz speed on P9X79 pro 4930.

Memory = XMP quad channel 2133 Mhz 9,11,11,31,2
BLCK = 100 x ratio of 45
Vcore = 1.385 v
CPU VCCSA = 1.175 v
CPU PLL = 1.2 v
VTTCPU = 1.1875 v
If you are running quad channel four banks of memory
VTTDDR CH AB = 0.825 v
VTTDDR CH CD = 0.825 v
all will be auto and disable all power saving mode and all spread spectrum.Disable intel speed step technology and enable turbo mode only. enable all over voltage and disable intel adaptive thermal monitor and disable all C state and disable anti surge support.

Digi + power control
CPU LLC and VCCSA LLC on high 120 to 130% . all will be auto frequency and on optimise to 120%.

More then 4500 will need more then 1.4v Vcore