Overclocking help (specs within)

ainokea

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Hi all, some months ago I put up a thread on my setup I was planning (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250104-31-first-home-build-feedback-appreciated) and now that I'm back home stateside I put it together. If you don't mind/have the time I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I've been having with overclocking it.

Final setup:
Case: Antec P182
Case Fans: 2xIntake/Exhaust-Scythe UltraKaze; 2xTop(CPU)/Lower Chamber Antec TriSpeed
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Rev2.1 Bios: F2
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek S1283
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 4-4-4-12
GPU: NVIDIA 9800 GTX
PSU: PC Power & Cooling S75QB EPS12V 750W
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB 32MB Cache
DVD Drive: Samsung SH-S203B
Monitor: Samsung 2253BW Black 22"
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE
Speakers: Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 Sound
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G5

Now to be honest, when I first put it together (finishing at 2 in the morning) I went to sleep, and the next morning on bootup, realized the Xigmatek wasn't seated on properly when I moved the computer from my assembling area (kitchen table) to my computer desk. It popped halfway off (without me realizing it) and when I booted up and saw my CPU temp at 70 Celsius, I freaked and powered it off, then took it apart and reseated it properly (this time for good). Don't know if I damaged it or not, but after that is when my problem started.

When I go into my BIOS, I can monitor my idle temps at 36. When I try to increase anything (for example, my multiplier from 6 to 7, 8, or 9) and reboot it won't even POST. It freezes, restarts, and reverts the settings back to default. All I'm able to do is load up factory defaults and boot with my CPU at 2.4 GHz. Everything works fine at this speed.

My memtest scan ran without errors, and my load temps go up to lower 50's.

What I'm wondering is...
1) Did that heatsink fiasco damage the CPU to where it can't overclock?
2) Should I have reapplied fresh AS5 before reseating the cooler? (it was about 5 hours in between application and fixed reseating)
3) Could my hardware still be fine and a CMOS reset and BIOS re-flash fix my OC error?
4) Are my temps too high to OC? (I've seen people overcloking to 3.6 load temps successfully in the 50's BUT they had stock load temps in the 30's.)

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Your chip more than likely unharmed.

When you are OCing Via the FSB, you must set the Ram in sync mode, or un link it from the FSB, because it will automatically run your ram faster.

The re boot is to recover factory settings because something wasn't configured properly.

Your processor can take alot more than 70c. You just dont want it to.

Do me a favor and DL and run the newest Core Temp, and list the VID of your processor here? Did you get it recently as a retail chip, or OEM? Retail and it will more than likely be 1.3000, 1.3125 or 1.2350. The "worse" three! Maybe you will be a lucky one and get a better VID!

--Lupi

ainokea

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I'm relieved that my processor is fine, that really had me worried.

I got the CPU on Fry's deal when they were selling the G0's for 179.99 about 3 weeks ago, so not sure if that would be retail or OEM. Sorry, but unfortunately I'm out of town at the moment so I can't post up the VID. But I'm about 90% sure it was 1.3125, when it worked at 2.4 anyways. The first bootup on unchanged settings had its powersaver function on and used very little juice.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the Ram sync mode, but I used a whole sheet of settings to OC that I put in on the first try, and after that didn't work I tried just adjusting the FSB so it would go from 2.4 to 2.8 and it couldn't even finish a POST.

EDIT: Oh did you mean its max VID? Mine is 1.5

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Nope, I meant the normal VID. 1.3125 sounds good.

Set your memory junk to Manual, that way you get all the options, and select a memory ratio of 1:1 or it may be called Sync mode. That makes your RAMs speed run in sync with the FSB. All the rams data has to go through the FSB anyways, so why run your ram faster?

For instance, A 400 FSB would be 800 Mhz , since your ram is double data rate, and its double the FSB because its in sync with it. Then you adjust the NB voltage to 1.45 or a lil higher to support the FSB change, Enable load line calibration, or its equivalent if you have it! Set the VCore to 1.5000 in the bios, Disable speedstep! Disable all CPU functions like Vanderpool, C1E, Disable bit. All but CPU internal cache. Then disable all the spread spectrum junk you can find! Up, your VTT to 1.30, lock the PCIe bus at 100... then cross your fingers and re boot!

I hope I got it all, I hate GB boards.

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
That'll be 3.6. Can you pay attention to what CPUZ tells you the core voltage is when you get into windows? Thats your Idle voltage, after VDrop is applied. Then run Prime 95s Small fft torture test on all 4 cores and after 1 min note the temps, and the new decreased VCore voltage in CPUZ. Can you list those please? And did you update you MoBos Bios to a newer one? Anyone other than an initial release one??

Good Night for now!! I am off duty!

::Slaps "Closed for the night" sign over avatar.::

--Lupi

ainokea

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Ahh, that's what you meant. Yeah, I had my RAM at 1:1 with my FSB.

After that and just trying to change my multiplier from 6 (@ 2.4) to 7 it wouldn't boot. Even upp'd my core voltage to 1.4 which should have been more than enough juice to run 2.8.

But perhaps its my BIOS like you said. I ran it with the out of the box one so when I get home I'll try removing the battery for a couple minutes then reflashing.

The current ones are:
F3e 2008/03/27 beta BIOS, update CPU ID
F3b 2008/02/05 beta BIOS, Update CPU ID(Support Intel QX9770 CPU)
F2 2008/01/04 ADD new version super I/O code., Enhance Dynamic Energy Saver function.
F1 2007/12/14 First Release

Which one would you suggest? Its came with the F2 BIOS out of the box. Should I reflash it or go with a beta?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Just get the newest one. It takes a matter of minutes to flash, and can be un done rather easily. Use ASUS easy flash Via the Bios and a flash drive to do the procedure. I used the Win flash on a newer board and it toastied the Bios, so... I'll not try it in windows again!

You do realize that your Multi said 6 because you have speed step enabled, right? Disable speed step, and set it to x9! At stock 266 x 9 = 2400
So when you reduced it to 7, its now 266 x 7. No wonder it didnt wanna boot! Thats way under clocked. Like 1870 Mhz, lol! Dunno what would happen with high volts and no speed, lol.

Here is how it works. CPU Multiplier X FSB = Core frequency. IE 9 x 266 = 2400. We want 9 x 400 = 3.6

In sync mode. 1:1 RAM is Double data rate. Double the FSB while in sync mode. At stock, 266 x 2 = 533. We want 400 FSB x 2 for double data rate = 800 Mhz.

Place the NB voltage at 1.45ish, PLL to 1.65, VTT to 1.30, VCore to 1.5000 in the bios. Turn off all CPU functions like vanderpool and disable bit, c1e, etc, all but internal cache. Then Make sure all the spread spectrum junk is disabled! Lock the PCIe bus to 100...

Good luck!

--Lupi

ainokea

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I really appreciate the advice Lupiron. I get back in town in about 3 days and will try it as soon as I get back to my place. If I run into any trouble is it alright if I PM you?