[SOLVED] Overclocking help

RHXZ

Reputable
May 20, 2019
so the xeon e3 1270 that i just bought is probably gonna arrive tomorrow and i also got a ASUS p8h67m-le motherboard for it i was wondering if i could overclock the xeon with my current motherboard, i mean i only want to squeeze an extra 150mhz or 200mhz cus i've seen some benchmarks of the i7 2600 running at 3600mhz and even 3675mhz on all 4 cores and i was wondering if i'd be able to do that with the xeon so i can get a little performance boost while pairing it with the gtx 1070.

Solution
You would get more of an FPS boost by overclocking the graphics card, or replacing it with something that is intended for gaming.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, about that much. It means increasing the BCLK on the board from 100Mhz to something like 103Mhz. Keep in mind that changes everything in the system, so it may cause instability with PCIe devices (like graphics cards) and other things.

100x39 = 3.9Ghz
103x39 = 4.017Ghz

It is a very, very minor overclock and not really worth it. You would be better off trying to tighten the timings on the memory as much as possible.

RHXZ

Reputable
May 20, 2019
wait isn't 103x39 too much? i mean i just want a minor boost not 4.017ghz cus i don't have the cooling for it, i wanted to keep it minor because i thought i'd get away with a few hundred mhz with the stock cooler.

i've got a few videos from youtube on the i7 2600 and gtx 1070
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOHEiauoXnI&t=67s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw7jLK2Cu-4

if someone could check the description and tell me what the following means:
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz (@3675MHz 105x35)
i7 2600 3,6GHz ( 103MHz bclk )

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Okay...not sure what you are on about on the temperature. Whatever speed and power settings the CPU would ran at stock, you aren't really changing. You are changing, effectively, the overall system bus speed.

Those descriptions are the exact same mathematics I was talking about. Setting the BCLK to above 100Mhz. Then multiplied by the frequency ratio, equals the clock frequency of the CPU.

By default the i7-2600 will run at up to 3.8Ghz up from a base of 3.4Ghz, so really those 'overclocks' are not that impressive. They would be better off with a decent cooler and just forcing the max boost.

You are not using a i7-2600, but some version of the 1270 Xeon, yes? Either v1 or v2 that fits in LGA1155. So whatever its maximum multiplier is, at boost, and the BLCK is the expected speed. When you change the BCLK it will go up. Not hugely, and as I mentioned it will also overclock the PCIe bus amongst other things. That can be bad and not every system is capable of this.

Either the 1270 at 3.8Ghz or the 1270 v2 at 3.9Ghz. If you change the BCLK to 102-105 Mhz than you can gain anywhere from 75-200Mhz.

If you say you don't have the cooling for this, then you don't have the cooling to run the chip under a heavy load anyway. So the stock settings will be better overall.