Overclocking - How To?

gpbarth

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2015
My system, per Speccy, is listed below. I'm reading all about the proper way to cool this stuff, but I am new to overclocking, so I have no idea how to go about it in the first place. From the threads, I guess I can O/C my CPU somewhat (I'm not looking for miracles, just a nice increase). so the next thing is how do I O/C my CPU?

AMD Phenom II X4 925
MoBo - ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model M4N78 PRO (AM2/AM3)
Chipset Vendor NVIDIA
Chipset Model nForce 720a
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor NVIDIA
Southbridge Model nForce 720a MCP
Southbridge Revision A2

I also have a 500W power supply, and I'm running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 graphics card. I also have 3 case fans (one in front, two in back) in addition to the fans on the CPU and the graphics card.

WVMountie07

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
It's all about finding the sweet spot combo of voltage and multiplier. I have my 955 at 19X multiplier and 1.4 cpu voltage. Check youtube or some other forums to see a ballpark of what others with your same CPU are running. AMD overdrive has an autoclock feature, but the issue with that is that it pushes WAY too much voltage (causing high temps and crashes). You need to adjust everything in bios as well so it will take hold and not revert upon restart.

gpbarth

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2015

Well, I went out and downloaded the Coretemp app, and then downloaded what I thought was the AMD Overdrive, thinking that I could TRY to O/C using it and then go into the BIOS with my results and do it permanently. Problem was that the Overdrive program didn't find the chipset it needed to run, so the only way I'm going to be able to O/C my chip is to do it through BIOS, and no one seems to have an idea on how to do it. I know I have to change the voltage with the clock, but until I can find a safe way to do so, I guess I'm staying at my current 2.8Ghz.