[SOLVED] Overclocking I5 12400

autoblogart

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
I have seen some people overcloking i5 12400 to above 5GHZ and its so similar in performance almost to i5 13600k ( stock) in gaming

So i wanted to save some money and overclock that budget i5 12400 to 5GHZ.

What motherboards can overclock that i5 12400 ? I mean beside b660 . All z690 do the job ? Specifically the gigabyte z690 gaming x / aorus elite ax / maybe b760 ?

Something thats not more than 220$

2) second question does overclocking hurt your psu ??

I have 0 experience in overclocking and never made one

Last edited:
Solution
Basic idea is to overclock using the base clock rather than clock multipliers. You need high end motherboards that support BCLK modifications. This is not all that common.

You would be better off getting a mid-range Z690 and the 13600K, be cheaper and you have some guarantee of success.

It can take more power to run an overclocked CPU. These late model Intel chips can pull like 220W, so you already need to account for that in your PSU choice.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Basic idea is to overclock using the base clock rather than clock multipliers. You need high end motherboards that support BCLK modifications. This is not all that common.

You would be better off getting a mid-range Z690 and the 13600K, be cheaper and you have some guarantee of success.

It can take more power to run an overclocked CPU. These late model Intel chips can pull like 220W, so you already need to account for that in your PSU choice.

Reactions: autoblogart
Solution