Overclocking i5 4690k at Maximus VI gene motherboard

Pitchblease

Reputable
May 11, 2015
Hi guys basically im a beginner at overclocking i searched about it and i got confused since there were so many options

I want to know if i did right

I change the AI overclock Tuner to Manual and CPU core ratio to Manual and set it to 4.6 ghz and then i went down and set fully manual mode to enable and CPU core voltage i set it at 1.26v and im getting 87 deg Celcius max and 78 minimum using Intel Burn test (stress testing )

so i decided to change Cpu block and change pump ( my idea before overclocking ) ( have custom water cooling )

and after i changed it i got 78 dec celcius max

my question is what can i do or should i do to make the temp lower and what should i change in the bios ?

Solution
Those Quiet fans are designed to run at about half speed of regular fans, so their half speed is about quarter speed of regular fans. The pressure and airflow will be proportionally lower.

Setting the fan curve to Turbo should improve the cooling if the fans aren't already hitting maximum speed. Depending on how loud they get, you may be able to set them on full speed.

Which fan header on the mboard are they plugged into? Are both on the same header or on different ones? And I believe those fans are 3-pin, right? That means they can't use PWM control so make sure your mboard is using DC/voltage speed control. Even if they are 4-pin, not all mboard headers support both PWM and DC modes.

Pitchblease

Reputable
May 11, 2015

yes fan works fine , pump works good can change the speed (d5 xspc) and i think the thermal paste is okaay

Yes, more voltage typically equals more heat. On Haswell I wouldn't go above 1.28V, so you're just under that. What cooler did you use first? What water block, radiator, and fan are you using now?

Techy is right, a bad cooler mount will affect temps, but 87° on air @ 4.6 is actually about par for that chip. Maybe a little high, but nothing to worry about too much. Temps will be much higher under heavy synthetic load than you'll ever see while gaming or otherwise. And dropping nearly 10° after switching to liquid isn't too bad, depending on your loop. What's the ambient temp?

Pitchblease

Reputable
May 11, 2015

at first i have h100i v2 but i sold it cause i want to change to custom water cooling
ambient is 23 deg and the cpu block is Supremacy Evo nickel , the fan is SP120 mounted on the rad (magicool 240)
i have xspc d5 pump . what settings (1-5) should i set it on ?

I don't know what to do next :(

General consensus from a couple of forums is to leave it on 3 ... but some users with more cooling radiators use 4 or 5. There does not seem to be a lot of noise difference on the higher two levels ... but suit yourself.

Note on the highest setting the pump works harder ... the pressure is higher.

If there is no noticeable difference in delta temps, then use 3 ... the unit will last longer and there is less chance of a leak.

MTBF ...

:)

Ok, let's get the stupid questions out of the way.

Did you first flush and rinse out your loop parts before assembly? Is the block installed correctly? Did you put the mboard backplate on correctly? Are you using the proper mounting height screws? What insert and jet plate are you using inside the Evo? Do you have the coolant going in the proper direction through the block? It's got the in and out labeled. Speaking of tubing, do you have any kinks or obstructions anywhere? And on obstructions, is your radiator clear of dust? Sounds like you got new parts, so hopefully that last one is "yes."

Assuming that's all correct, let's move to the other parts of the loop.

How fast are the fans going? Are they hooked up to the mboard or a separate fan controller? If the mboard, are you using the silent, standard, turbo, or fill speed settings? Did you set your own fan curve? If so, what's it like? Which version of SP120s do you have: Quiet or HP? Do you have the 240 Slim or 240 Ultra radiator? The Ultra is 15mm thicker, so it's more restrictive to blow through it. Do you have the fans pushing or pulling through the radiator?

On my D5 pump, I find best performance around 60% speed. Granted, mine's a PWM, so I get finer speed control. However, I'd agree to leave it on 3. It's doubtful you've got excessive pressure drop in a simple loop.

Pitchblease

Reputable
May 11, 2015

Yes i ran the d5 and the reservoir and the cpu block before putting it into the loop , and yes its installed correctly i put the rubber and the backplate and yes im using proper mounting height screws and i tighten it to the fullest (as it says in the instruction ) im using I1 and j2 i searched it and it says that its the best option for LGA 1150 , and Pump out to the CPU block In and out to the radiator and goes to the reservoir . yes radiator is clear of dust yea its new xD

fans are running at standard via AI suite 3 , i have the quiet edition , have the 240 slim radiator . I have the pans pushing out through the rad .

ill do that thanks.

this is the loop
http://imgur.com/a/sJ54k
http://imgur.com/a/ayxmP

Before
http://imgur.com/a/iAH0R

Those Quiet fans are designed to run at about half speed of regular fans, so their half speed is about quarter speed of regular fans. The pressure and airflow will be proportionally lower.

Setting the fan curve to Turbo should improve the cooling if the fans aren't already hitting maximum speed. Depending on how loud they get, you may be able to set them on full speed.

Which fan header on the mboard are they plugged into? Are both on the same header or on different ones? And I believe those fans are 3-pin, right? That means they can't use PWM control so make sure your mboard is using DC/voltage speed control. Even if they are 4-pin, not all mboard headers support both PWM and DC modes.

Solution

Pitchblease

Reputable
May 11, 2015

Im using 4 pin Y splitter , the back fan is af120 (3pin ) and the left fan on the rad is Sp120 4pin
and the AF140 (3pin) and the other right fan at the rad SP120 4pin . with y splitter also . i can actually control it via AI suite 3