Overclocking i5-6400 with z170-k

Solution
you can easily overclock i5-6400 to 4.05GHz (this is what I have now), you need to have motherboard bios version with skylake non-k overclock ability, I think all motherboard manufacturers offered official bios with that ability, obviously later on under pressure from intel they removed the ability in later versions of their Bios, but it's still available definitely for Asrock
when you update your motherboard with correct bios just set up bclk to 150, cpu vcore voltage to 1.2V, keep Ram up to 2600MHz and that's it , job done

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Intel's really cracked down on non-K overclocking, some motherboard manufacturers were pushing the limit so Intel removed some of those options for those people with BIOS updates (and Windows updates, IIRC).

Chances are, the only thing you'll be able to do is play with the BCLK, but you're unlikely to wring much out of the CPU before it becomes unstable. It's probably not worth bothering; CPUs like the 6500 and 6400 aren't just non-K because Intel wants the market segmented in a certain way but that the 6500 and 6400 CPUs are binned that way because they're the worse tested ones, so will be even less likely to be able to overclock than a 6600k, all other things being equal.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Yeah. You can try if you're curious, but it's unlikely you'll do much. BCLK isn't really how you want to overclock it's the multipliers that are of interest and those are locked.

Sep 24, 2018
you can easily overclock i5-6400 to 4.05GHz (this is what I have now), you need to have motherboard bios version with skylake non-k overclock ability, I think all motherboard manufacturers offered official bios with that ability, obviously later on under pressure from intel they removed the ability in later versions of their Bios, but it's still available definitely for Asrock
when you update your motherboard with correct bios just set up bclk to 150, cpu vcore voltage to 1.2V, keep Ram up to 2600MHz and that's it , job done

Solution