Question Overclocking i5-6600k

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Hi!
I want to know if I can overclock my i5-6600k on my b250m motherboard with intel extreme tuning utility?

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Overclocking will void the warranty of your retail CPU. Overclocking may destroy your CPU, your motherboard, or your system memory. ... Moderateoverclocking is mostly safe. These days, Intel and AMD don't frown onoverclocking as much as they did a few years ago.

DanielSpaending

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
Ok ill try it.
Another question: does overclocking void warranty?

I don't know if they will enforce it if you try to return a dead CPU. Probably depends on the seller, but in theory yes it would void the warranty. Don't know if they can tell if the cpu died bc of oc tbh...

But the 6600K is a fairly old CPU, is it really still under warranty? Anyway, if you're careful and follow some good guides, there is very little risk.There is a really good one here on the forums. Just watch the temps and be reasonable with the voltage :)

Reactions: tommytgc

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
I don't know if they will enforce it if you try to return a dead CPU. Probably depends on the seller, but in theory yes it would void the warranty. Don't know if they can tell if the cpu died bc of oc tbh...

But the 6600K is a fairly old CPU, is it really still under warranty? Anyway, if you're careful and follow some good guides, there is very little risk.There is a really good one here on the forums. Just watch the temps and be reasonable with the voltage :)
Yes it has warranty I bought it recently and thanks for the answer Ill try to find a guide Thanks!

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Overclocking will void the warranty of your retail CPU. Overclocking may destroy your CPU, your motherboard, or your system memory. ... Moderateoverclocking is mostly safe. These days, Intel and AMD don't frown onoverclocking as much as they did a few years ago.
Thanks for the answer

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
A K suffix processor is designed to be overclocked.
By now, the intel warranty is long gone.
Whatever warranty you have will be from the seller and should be honored unless you have exceeded safe vcore voltages. Perhaps 1.4v.

But... this is all moot, a B250m motherboard does not permit cpu multiplier overclocking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1151

A lot of people said so, but since i upgraded my CPU yesterday to an i5 4960k with a b85m-e it allowed me to overclock my CPU with no problems didnt even increase the voltage at all, i overclocked it to 4.2 GHZ and its running smooth with no issues and using a hyper 212 evo to cool it onload max temp is 50 ish idle from 32-37 max.
He could try, but no idea if it will work or not, cause a lot of people said my motherboard wont let me overclock and it did let me overclock.

The b85m-e motherboard did allow multiplier overclocking for the G3258 processor.
I suspect that the microcode was not restricted to that particular processor.
Since it works, go ahead and use the capability.
At one time those motherboards had unauthorized bios updates that allowed cpu overclocking.
Intel did not like that and the capability was withdrawn.
Use at your own risk (which I think is minimal)

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
The b85m-e motherboard did allow multiplier overclocking for the G3258 processor.
I suspect that the microcode was not restricted to that particular processor.
Since it works, go ahead and use the capability.
At one time those motherboards had unauthorized bios updates that allowed cpu overclocking.
Intel did not like that and the capability was withdrawn.
Use at your own risk (which I think is minimal)

Well i never heard of those motherboards to be honest, first i updated the bios and the bios update was glitched from asus it self, i had to downgrade the bios to a little bit older version and it worked just fine.
I overclocked using the bios and it worked just fine, he can try if its unlocked then good luck if not then rip.