Overclocking i5 750 to 4Ghz?

Deenom225

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Hi everyone, i just got a GTX 760 like 3 days ago, and i noticed that i have a huge bottleneck with my stock i5 750, i want to overclock it when i change my cooling system, but i don't know how to do it.

My PC:

Intel i5 750 @ 2.66Ghz
Msi Gtx 760 Twin Frozr Gaming Series
8Gb Ddr3 Dual Channel Kingston PC3-10700 1333Mhz ( 1.50 voltages )
Motherboard Asrock H55M-Le
PSU Topower 700w

I readed a lot of guides, but i don't know where to start because i always thought that overclocking was very risky. I once tried to oc my cpu to 3.2Ghz with the stock cooler and voltages in auto, but it crashed after 60 minutes.
I want to play smooth games like Far Cry 4, Battlefield 4 Online, Shadow of Mordor, etc.

So the first thing is, should i try to overclock with this motherboard or should i change my cpu?
Should i buy the Cooler Master Hyper 212 or go with watercooling like Corsair H60 / H80?
If i end up overclocking my cpu, how do i do it? I just set the voltages to 1.35 and the BCLK to 200?
Thanks.

CPU-Z - CPU

CPU-Z - Memory

CPU-Z - SPD

Speccy Temps

Solution
That's not a very good board for overclocking, although it can be done. Regardless of what board you use you need an aftermarket cooler. The Hyper 212 EVO would be the minimum. Something more expensive would probably be a waste. LGA 1156 is supported by that cooler so it would be a good choice.

Most important of all is the very low quality PSU you have, which was likely the main reason you couldn't get a stable overclock. You need a good PSU for overclocking and for good performance of you GPU. While not the best unit out there, at the price, this would be a suitable choice for what you need depending of course on what country you're in an what's available to you. You really want a Tier 3, minimum, and preferably Tier 2B or higher...
That's not a very good board for overclocking, although it can be done. Regardless of what board you use you need an aftermarket cooler. The Hyper 212 EVO would be the minimum. Something more expensive would probably be a waste. LGA 1156 is supported by that cooler so it would be a good choice.

Most important of all is the very low quality PSU you have, which was likely the main reason you couldn't get a stable overclock. You need a good PSU for overclocking and for good performance of you GPU. While not the best unit out there, at the price, this would be a suitable choice for what you need depending of course on what country you're in an what's available to you. You really want a Tier 3, minimum, and preferably Tier 2B or higher unit, here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

This would be ok:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $49.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 03:02 EST-0500

Solution