[SOLVED] Overclocking i5 8600k to 5ghz, which air cooler

peteblazey

Commendable
Oct 18, 2018
I tried posting a thread yesterday but unfortunately it got buried. Here is my complete system build: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $379.00)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $170.00)
Memory: Kingston - FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $209.00)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $139.00)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Dual Series Video Card (Purchased For $569.00)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $99.00)
Monitor: AOC - G2460PF 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor ($329.00)
Total: $1894.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-07 08:35 AEDT+1100
I haven't chosen a case yet so any suggestions for that and an air cooler that are sub 75aud each would be great

Solution
Cases usually come with one to three fans, depends on the model. If you look at the product page for any given case on the manufacturers website or sometimes on the seller website, it should tell you how many that case comes with.

The Focus G I believe comes with two front intake fans so you would need at least one more fan for the rear exhaust and it would be wise to also add another exhaust fan to the top rear location as well. If you're going to buy fans, let me know and I'll give you my recommendation based on what might be available to you. Knowing what shop you can purchase at, if they also have an online presence, would help.

I don't like Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Zalman or quite a few other brands of cooler. If possible, and...

peteblazey

Commendable
Oct 18, 2018

Hi darkbreeze, thanks so much for the reply. While the Thermaltake cpu cooler seems great, I'm unable to find an actual outlet to buy it at. I'm shopping at my local computer shop here in Australia (MSY) and while I don't mind buying from online, it would be preferable if I could purchase one instore. Are there any minimum numbers I should be looking for to cool the CPU once overclocked?

EDIT: After looking at my local shops website, would the Thermaltake Riing 12 Pro be suitable? Link: http://www.msy.com.au/viconline/pc-accessories/21310-thermaltake-cl-p021-al12re-ariing-silent-12-red-multi-socket-universal-cpu-cooler-with-fan-clips.html

EDIT #2: Probably a stupid question but once you buy a case do you have to buy fans for that case or should you expect them to come with it?

Cases usually come with one to three fans, depends on the model. If you look at the product page for any given case on the manufacturers website or sometimes on the seller website, it should tell you how many that case comes with.

The Focus G I believe comes with two front intake fans so you would need at least one more fan for the rear exhaust and it would be wise to also add another exhaust fan to the top rear location as well. If you're going to buy fans, let me know and I'll give you my recommendation based on what might be available to you. Knowing what shop you can purchase at, if they also have an online presence, would help.

I don't like Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Zalman or quite a few other brands of cooler. If possible, and in this order, I'd try to stick to Noctua, Thermalright (NOT Thermaltake), Cryorig, Phanteks, Deepcool, Enermax or Reeven CPU coolers. There are also some others that are ok, or have decent models but a lot that suck, so model is often the determining factor. Also, a lot of coolers that are otherwise not great out of the box, might be pretty decent if you add a good fan from one of those first four brands to it.

Usually though it's a lot cheaper to simply buy a good cooler that comes with a good fan or fans.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from peteblazey : "Air Cooler for i5 8600k @5ghz"