Question Overclocking an i5 CPU ?

Even if it did allow for BCLK adjustment, you can't get very far touching that before everything breaks unless you can also touch the clock settings for everything else that feeds from it.

Which for a Q-series chipset, you likely won't have.
Exactly. Which is why I said "In any way that matters". BCLK overclocking is a waste of time and is usually more problematic than helpful.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

lolvatveo

Commendable
Nov 11, 2021
https://hwbot.org/hardware/chipset/945gz/#start=0#interval=20
you can push bclk much by overclock on old chipset model but have to know a way to manage voltage, dram timing, silicon lottery, good ram, heat headroom etc..., but on new chipset you may want to use z board below z97 to overclock non k and you can increase bclk much more than b or h (all limit at 110mhz). intel put some limit and destroy overclock on cheap board and completely get rid of cheap overclock since skylake, intel limit overclock non k to only on z board and 102,7mhz

https://hwbot.org/hardware/chipset/945gz/#start=0#interval=20
you can push bclk much by overclock on old chipset model but have to know a way to manage voltage, dram timing, silicon lottery, good ram, heat headroom etc..., but on new chipset you may want to use z board below z97 to overclock non k and you can increase bclk much more than b or h (all limit at 110mhz). intel put some limit and destroy overclock on cheap board and completely get rid of cheap overclock since skylake, intel limit overclock non k to only on z board and 102,7mhz
Ignoring any technical limitations on why there's a BCLK limit (this article says that getting around it on Skylake caused a list of disadvantages)...

There's a number of reasons why a company would want to curb people trying to overclock cheaper parts:
  • People will take advantage of this by selling systems with cheaper parts at an up charge at least equivalent of the more expensive part. Or worse, claim the system has a better CPU part than it actually has. This was allegedly the original reason why companies started locking down the multiplier
  • Overclocking creates reliability issues. You are running the part out of spec, so you can't expect it to run the same as before, just faster. See https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20050412-47/?p=35923 (which also alludes to the previous point)
  • People will think they can buy cheaper parts and get better performance, but the problem is that cheaper parts may not be able to handle the extra load. For instance, say you get a cheap motherboard where the VRM is only really good for handling a 100W TDP CPU under full load continuously. But you overclock the CPU to push it to say 120W or higher. The board's going to die sooner, and people are not going to blame the overclocking that did it, they're going to blame the company who made the board for being crap. Or even more perplexing, they'll blame the platform designer (Intel or AMD)
  • Or you know, the easy, brain dead excuse: Comapnies are greedy and just want to create artificial market segmentation.
Also Intel's not the only one doing this. Nobody's gotten far with overclocking BCLK on AMD Ryzen CPUs either.

lolvatveo

Commendable
Nov 11, 2021
E6500 9GHz
hardware is not software and it needs to be upgraded, can't be updated., which is not always possible. we need to exploit the maximum possibility it can achieve. I'm so pity that Intel was the one who started the lead against overclocking like produce locked cpu and lock all overclock method even ram, causing the passion for CPU overclocking and overclock in general to gradually cool down. I believe it would have had so many amazing world records if Intel wasn't so greedy, selfish and doing all sorts of mean ways to squeeze out customers.

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
Intels boost/overclock automatically. There is less point to overclocking them because they're so damn fast already.

Keep in mind that an OCd 9Ghz CPU that dies after 2-6 months is not valuable to the wide consumer market. An i5 3750K from 12 years ago is still going to run 12 years from now, and it's only software bloat and OS bloat that slows it down. For most basic tasks it is still a usable CPU and may be 12 years from now.

A meteoric overclocked beast that breaks the 10Ghz barrier? What does it do that is superior? Of course it's cool, but it's not useful in any way. Not compared to a modern mainstream CPU, say the i5 13600K.

And btw, you can play with both the 3750K and 13600K on a z chipset, if you like. As long as stability and longevity is worth trading for a faster clock. Which it isn't, since it's better to put money in a higher tier GPU.

E6500 9GHz
hardware is not software and it needs to be upgraded, can't be updated., which is not always possible. we need to exploit the maximum possibility it can achieve. I'm so pity that Intel was the one who started the lead against overclocking like produce locked cpu and lock all overclock method even ram, causing the passion for CPU overclocking and overclock in general to gradually cool down. I believe it would have had so many amazing world records if Intel wasn't so greedy, selfish and doing all sorts of mean ways to squeeze out customers.
Hardware only needs to be updated when it can't do the things you need. For example, the guy who wrote The Game of Thrones did so on a Intel 486 laptop running a DOS version of Word Perfect. Why? Because that's all he needed. You don't need Microsoft Word to write a manuscript, because the only thing that matters is the content, not the pretty fluffiness of a word processor.

Also if you ran hardware at their maximum possible limits, they'd just die faster: https://www.anandtech.com/show/2468/6 . As mentioned before, a processor that is blazing fast, but only lasts less than a year is not very useful to the consumer. Sure it's possible to overclock a CPU to nearly 7 GHz, but do you know what you need to get there? A steady supply of liquid nitrogen. Or a refrigeration unit that could keep a meat locker cool.

Also when are you going to condemn AMD? They're also doing this. Sure they might win points by not locking things down as much as Intel, but they also don't get very far either so it's not really a huge win for them.