[SOLVED] Overclocking I7-11700K Gigabyte Z590 Gaming X

Pazic

Commendable
Jul 1, 2021
I have been looking for a few days how to over clock my cpu(Intel I7-11700k) with the Gigabyte Z590 Gaming X motherboard. I couldn't find a tutorial how to do it on my motherboard and when I tried folloing a tutorial the wording was different to my bios and half of the settings arn't in the bios.

Solution
There are not many tutorials yet on overclocking your CPU and Motherboard combo.
This VID is for overclocking your I7=11700K and Carbon EK X Motherboard.

Although not your MB the principles are the same however you may not have all the features of a high end Bios.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1z8ehSkZik

If this is your first Overclock my advice is keep it simple and Stress test initially to establish a baseline for your Overclock. Overclock in 200MHz steps initially using your multiplier. Do not attempt a max Overclock in one go and after each Overclock you should stress test for stability. Do not make arbitrary changes in Bios with knowing the consequence of the change you are making.
There are not many tutorials yet on overclocking your CPU and Motherboard combo.

Although not your MB the principles are the same however you may not have all the features of a high end Bios.

If this is your first Overclock my advice is keep it simple and Stress test initially to establish a baseline for your Overclock. Overclock in 200MHz steps initially using your multiplier. Do not attempt a max Overclock in one go and after each Overclock you should stress test for stability. Do not make arbitrary changes in Bios with knowing the consequence of the change you are making.

Solution

Pazic

Commendable
Jul 1, 2021

Thanks for responding but it's my first time ever overclocking a cpu and opions in his motherboard are different to mine so I am a bit stuck. I need a tutorial that is showing how to overclock a cpu using a gigabyte motherboard which I have not found as of yet.

What is your objective in overclocking?
It is a reasonable thing to do if you need to run a multithreaded app where all cores can be in full use.

OTOH, for games, it might be best to let the turbo mechanism do it's job.
With a good cooler, a few cores will boost quite high, and that is what you want for games.

Yea that vid is more for more experienced Overclockers.

Successful Overclocking starts with:

1. Preparation and understanding your Bios capability.
  2. Establishing a baseline for your Overclock. Conduct a stress test at stock. This is to test your thermals and voltages.
  3. Keep it simple initially by just using your Bios multiplier to increase frequency and adjusting Core voltage to maintain stability.
  4. Don't go beyond reasonable expectations of what your system is capable of.

You should search for and review guides even ones similar to your setup that are more easy to understand. I found one for the z390 MB which is easy to understand for beginners.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rY4TrcDXg

Yes I know it's not the same as your setup however principles are the same.

Pazic

Commendable
Jul 1, 2021
Yea that vid is more for more experienced Overclockers.

Successful Overclocking starts with:

1. Preparation and understanding your Bios capability.
  2. Establishing a baseline for your Overclock. Conduct a stress test at stock. This is to test your thermals and voltages.
  3. Keep it simple initially by just using your Bios multiplier to increase frequency and adjusting Core voltage to maintain stability.
  4. Don't go beyond reasonable expectations of what your system is capable of.
You should search for and review guides even ones similar to your setup that are more easy to understand. I found one for the z390 MB which is easy to understand for beginners.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rY4TrcDXg

Yes I know it's not the same as your setup however principles are the same.

The problem is that i'm a noob at doing this. I tried overclocking with using that video but the problem is that this video is a few years old or its just a different motherboard that the layout is different and some features that I have the video doesn't have and some of the settings he changes in the video I dont have in my bois.

Pazic

Commendable
Jul 1, 2021
What is your objective in overclocking?
It is a reasonable thing to do if you need to run a multithreaded app where all cores can be in full use.

OTOH, for games, it might be best to let the turbo mechanism do it's job.
With a good cooler, a few cores will boost quite high, and that is what you want for games.

I'm gaming, editing and recording so I want to get the best out of it so it does it's job the best and can. The games I play are cpu intensive so if I overclock it I wont have as many lag spikes because my gpu is a 1660 super which gives me the lag spikes I think.

The problem is that i'm a noob at doing this. I tried overclocking with using that video but the problem is that this video is a few years old or its just a different motherboard that the layout is different and some features that I have the video doesn't have and some of the settings he changes in the video I dont have in my bois.
We were all noobs at one stage. Don't use the vid to Overclock verbatim as that's not why I led you to it.
Just get a gist of what you need to do in your Bios. Every system is different and some Bios have more capability. Like all Overclockers do the research and google is your friend when it comes to what changes does what. Just take small steps to begin with, you'll soon get the gist of it if your keen enough.
Learn what's in your Tweaker menu from your manual. It's a little confronting at first but rewarding when you achieve your first Overclock.