[SOLVED] overclocking i7-3770K

Mar 21, 2022
i have an older desktop that i want to overclock. i don't know how to do it, need your help people!!

its running i7-3770K paired with ASUS P8Z77-VLK motherboard, and 32GB of RAM, 512 SSD. it has the stock cooler that came with the processor. PSU is 450W i think, no GPU ( i dont game or video edit or stuff like that)

i do a lot of multi-tasking since im in the medical line. im thinking maybe if i overclock it, i can run my various files faster??

i did clean install of windows but my apps still buffers for a some time..

Solution
Most of the Ivy-Bridge could be pushed to 4.2GHz without changing anything except the multiplier and locking the cores. Above that is when you'll need to start playing with current duration, LLC etc.

Just be aware that the VRM's on the P8 boards were kind of cheap, so higher OC wasn't usually possible.

1.4v vcore is your absolute maximum, with anything over 1.3v being high. Silicon lottery vs batch plays a strong variable with those chips, there are some batches that run hot but have lower voltage and good OC, other batches will hit voltage limits early and OC gets capped. Some batches didn't like 4.4GHz or higher, regardless of voltages and/or temps.
Apr 10, 2022
i have an older desktop that i want to overclock. i don't know how to do it, need your help people!!

its running i7-3770K paired with ASUS P8Z77-VLK motherboard, and 32GB of RAM, 512 SSD. it has the stock cooler that came with the processor. PSU is 450W i think, no GPU ( i dont game or video edit or stuff like that)

i do a lot of multi-tasking since im in the medical line. im thinking maybe if i overclock it, i can run my various files faster??

You can do this, but since you are using a stock cooler which I think is not good for overclocking, it could potentially damage your system, I recommend first change your CPU cooler, you can refer here for best cooler (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ir-cooler-for-an-intel-core-i7-3770k.2126110/) and also you can learn how to do overclocking for this CPU and motherboard. (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnH0luwrcfE
)

Mar 21, 2022
You can do this, but since you are using a stock cooler which I think is not good for overclocking, it could potentially damage your system, I recommend first change your CPU cooler, you can refer here for best cooler (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ir-cooler-for-an-intel-core-i7-3770k.2126110/) and also you can learn how to do overclocking for this CPU and motherboard. (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnH0luwrcfE
)

I dont think my RAM speeds are 2133.. 1300 or 1600 as far as i remember.. what do i do?
is the PSU good enough at 450W?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most of the Ivy-Bridge could be pushed to 4.2GHz without changing anything except the multiplier and locking the cores. Above that is when you'll need to start playing with current duration, LLC etc.

Just be aware that the VRM's on the P8 boards were kind of cheap, so higher OC wasn't usually possible.

1.4v vcore is your absolute maximum, with anything over 1.3v being high. Silicon lottery vs batch plays a strong variable with those chips, there are some batches that run hot but have lower voltage and good OC, other batches will hit voltage limits early and OC gets capped. Some batches didn't like 4.4GHz or higher, regardless of voltages and/or temps.

Solution
Apr 10, 2022
I dont think my RAM speeds are 2133.. 1300 or 1600 as far as i remember.. what do i do?
is the PSU good enough at 450W?

550W PSU is the best use for overclocking, 450W wont work I guess, don't use 600W+ PSU's.

Regarding RAM speed - you should have at least a speed of 1866 MHz in order to do a good multitasking, if your motherboard BIOS is showing XMP profile option then you can test to increase RAM speed else if this option is not available then probably motherboard doesn't support overclocking for RAM or your RAM is not overclockable

550W PSU is the best use for overclocking, 450W wont work I guess, don't use 600W+ PSU's.
The OPs system has no GPU. A non-extreme (4.5-4.7GHz) OC'd 3770K system might pull 250W.
Regarding RAM speed - you should have at least a speed of 1866 MHz in order to do a good multitasking,
Not true. Most likely the OPs RAM is 1600MHz which is perfectly fine. RAM amount is more critical, and 32GB is plenty.
probably motherboard doesn't support overclocking for RAM or your RAM is not overclockable
Z77 does support memory overclocking. All RAM is "overclockable". The amount varies. The gains to be had in OCing RAM are small. Not worth it IMO.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198.html

I don't know what sort of work you do in the medical line. But unless you're doing tasks/functions that take multiple minutes to complete, you're unlikely to see much/any improvement. You've already got an SSD and seemingly plenty of RAM, which is probably the biggest factor to improving system responsiveness.

[if you don't intend to replace your stock cooler] I'd suggest keeping your OC mild (maybe 4.3GHz all-core). Look at doing some undervolting to stay at/near stock voltage with whatever OC you end up with so you don't increase power draw. Keep an eye on temps.

Last edited:
You have to monitor cpu temperature. Use MSI afterburner for monitoring.
I'd suspect your cpu to be overheating already with stock cpu cooler.

Overclocking means your cpu will overheat even faster.
What software exactly are you using?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The OPs system has no GPU. A non-extreme (4.5-4.7GHz) OC'd 3770K system might pull 250W.
4.9-5.0GHz is closer to the 250w range. Starting out with a cpu that barely hits its 77w TDP. Add in another 100w ± for the rest of the pc +igpu and the whole pc will be lucky to hit 350w at the psu.

The stock cooler included was a 95w model, supposedly good enough for 'nominal usage' and still keep the cpu at stock voltages under 100° (barely did that on mine). It is (was) a truly miserable cooler for the i7, especially since it's the same cooler used on the i5-3570k.

It won't handle 4.3GHz unless it's only using 1-2 threads. Any more threads than that puts it over what anyone would consider sane temps.