Overclocking i7-4790k, GTX 970 on a ASUS Z97

mrkz

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
Hello.
I am pretty new to overclocking, I have a good cooler for my i7 and I'm wondering what I can change in the bios to make everything run faster/better.
Any changes in bios on Z97-P which makes the pc run faster/better are appreciated.
Also wondering if I should set the memory speed to what its supposed to be at or just keep it at what the bios set it to?

Thanks.

INTEL Core i7-4790k 4Ghz
MSI Geforce GTX 970 OC 4GB
Asus Z97-P
Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-2400 DC 8GB

Solution
i have a basically the same setup. I just enabled the boost clock to 4.4hz for the cpu. my bios had several easy options i could choose from in a drop down menu. i could go up to 4.8hz safely with a watercooler. i don't recommend playing around with voltages unless you know what your doing. as for overclocking your gpu look up msi afterburner. its an application that allows for overclocking. but its the same thing as before. don't mess around with something you don't understand. I use evga precisionx and there are things preconfigured overclocks like kboost that I use and they work awesome. and as for your memory. look for X.M.P profile in you bios. they have preconfigured overclocks but i dont use them. just set the multiplier to 24.00...

TheLizardKing

Reputable
May 31, 2015
i have a basically the same setup. I just enabled the boost clock to 4.4hz for the cpu. my bios had several easy options i could choose from in a drop down menu. i could go up to 4.8hz safely with a watercooler. i don't recommend playing around with voltages unless you know what your doing. as for overclocking your gpu look up msi afterburner. its an application that allows for overclocking. but its the same thing as before. don't mess around with something you don't understand. I use evga precisionx and there are things preconfigured overclocks like kboost that I use and they work awesome. and as for your memory. look for X.M.P profile in you bios. they have preconfigured overclocks but i dont use them. just set the multiplier to 24.00 because you're memory is probably running at 1333 or 1600 depending on what your motherboard is. if you wanna learn more about overclocking read up on it and make sure you understand it or you could possibly fry your hardware.

Solution