Overclocking i7 4790k

thesicksign

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
I am looking at overlooking my i7 4790k for a performance increase but I am currently using the corsair h55 as my cpu cooler. I am looking to run around 4.4ghz and am wondering if this cooler is enough or if I shoud upgrade?

Solution

OK you have a Mid Tower and enough room for a decent AIO. I have seen a number of water cooled setups that will take larger units than the H50. Open loops are more difficult to install so I'm not going to recommend that path.

If you are planning on internally mounting a 240mm, 280mm or 360mm AIO cooler, I recommend the Corsair Hydro H100, H110, or H105, you can do so in the top of the chassis and the front if you remove the hard drive racks.

Here is a good review of your tower case and methods of Water cooling: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/10/01/thermaltake_core_v51_midtower_case_review/5#.WD1tCOZ941I

I would try OCing with what you have initially. OC your CPU and stress test to see what temperatures your getting under load. Don't go right up to 4.4GHz in one hit. Raise the frequency in small steps with small adjustments to Core Voltage to maintain stability. You will see if the H55 can cope. Remember not all chips perform the same and voltage is what will create heat.
Download AIDA64 and HWMonitor for stress testing. Put them side by side on your desktop. Run AIDA64 CPU and FPU test and check your system temperatures during the test.
You can take screen shots at the 10min mark and post the results here for analysis.
Use IMIGUR as a file host and obtain the BBurl as a link here.

thesicksign

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015

6DOY8Pp.png

Stress test at default settings, ~80 degrees seems a bit much, think I might just leave it until I get a new cooler.

Yes you are quite correct. The AIDA64 graph shows a continually rising graph to 81C using bios in turbo mode and that is pretty conclusive. It would have kept raising as it did not appear to be leveling off.
List your Tower case and I can recommend a suitable AIO water cooler, if that's the way you want to go.

OK you have a Mid Tower and enough room for a decent AIO. I have seen a number of water cooled setups that will take larger units than the H50. Open loops are more difficult to install so I'm not going to recommend that path.

If you are planning on internally mounting a 240mm, 280mm or 360mm AIO cooler, I recommend the Corsair Hydro H100, H110, or H105, you can do so in the top of the chassis and the front if you remove the hard drive racks.

Here is a good review of your tower case and methods of Water cooling: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/10/01/thermaltake_core_v51_midtower_case_review/5#.WD1tCOZ941I

Solution