Overclocking i7 7700k on a GIGABYTE Z170X-GAMING 3

kulharin

Honorable
Jan 3, 2018
I've had an overclocked 6600k in it. Just ordered a 7700k on a good price. I've already flashed and updated the bios to the newest version available to support the new CPU...

Will it be possible to overclock the cpu on this board though?
More about : overclocking 7700k gigabyte z170x gaming

kulharin

Honorable
Jan 3, 2018
Is it true that Prime95 beyond v266 will produce hire temps than accurate? I was running a small FFT's test with a new version of prime and according to Open Hardware monitor I was hitting temps near 90... But then running the same test on v266 I hit around 75...

I've only really used Prime95 for stress test but it sounds like there are many... If I want to test stable cpu overclock/temps that accurately reflect performance gaming what stress test software should I use?

I hear Xtreme Tuning Utility or RealBench is a better representation?

EDIT:

So far so good, been running at 4.9 with a bios vcore setting of 1.305... CPU-Z states 1.284 under full load.

Did short tests with Prime 95, Xtreme Tuning and RealBench in a row right after one another without break... No crashes or errors.

15 minutes of Prime 95 short FFT's maximum temps hit 85oC followed by
15 minutes of full Real bench tests maximum temps hit 81oC followed by
15 minutes of Xtreme Tuning maximum temps hit 72oC

I'm pretty happy with these results and likely won't push it any further for temperature sake... I will run longer tests tomorrow... but of the three I assume Realbench is the best for realistic stability and gaming? Prime95 seems overkill and Xtreme seems not stressful enough?

Edit:

Ran realbench for an hour this morning, passed and max temp hit 80oC. Am I in a good spot? I have not touched Cache Frequency yet, is this something I should consider at all?

Yes most likely, only time will tell as those are synthetic tests and aren't quite the same as a real world load. Based on what you described I think you'll be fine, what cooling solution are you using for the CPU?

kulharin

Honorable
Jan 3, 2018
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink along with the thermal paste included with it. "Was that ever a pain in the ass to remove and put on to the new cpu"

Would raising the Cache/Uncore Frequency beyond 4.2 likely require additional voltage?

Edit:

Latest test, increased Uncore/Cache Frequency to 4.6 and didn't touch voltage. Passed a 2 hour real bench test. Ran Prime95 small fft's for an hour without any issue. Ran Xtreme Tuning for an hour and it passed the test.

So I'm gonna leave it at that... It's better than I was expecting hitting 4.9 cpu clock, 4.6 frequency clock at 1.305 vcore in the bios. Highest temps I saw were prime95 capping out at 85oC, Realbench capping out at 80oC.