Overclocking i7 8700k with a noctua nh15s

chakaboom

Honorable
May 10, 2015
This is my first pc build and I have never overclocked before... I have read a fair bit and watched vids, but wanted some input from you guys before I trash my cpu... so my question is, is it advisable to attempt an overclock based on the components I have and if so, what should I be looking for? (Clock speed volts etc)... also I recognise I paired the cpu with a low end mobo, and intentionally did not want to water cool. Thank you!
I7 8700k
Noctua nhd15s
Msi Z370 a pro
32 gb Corsair vengeance lpx
Evga supernova g3 650w
Nzxt s340 elite
Corsair ml140 intake x2
Stock fans
Again thank you!

Solution
Some pretty small VRMs on that board. With an air cooler I imagine temperature is going to be your limit.

Just turning on MCE or locking all cores to 4.7Ghz is a pretty hefty 'overclock' since only one core would normally reach 4.7Ghz. We know the CPU is likely capable of this. From there you would want to see what voltage it applied (VID would be requested voltage, VCore would be actual) and what temperature you reached under a benchmark like cinebench.

From there you can decide to try decreasing the voltage to keep the temperatures down, or increase the voltage to aim for higher clock speeds.

Every setup is somewhat unique, so there is no definitive answer.

If you have been looking at overclocking videos and guides, continue to do so.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Some pretty small VRMs on that board. With an air cooler I imagine temperature is going to be your limit.

Just turning on MCE or locking all cores to 4.7Ghz is a pretty hefty 'overclock' since only one core would normally reach 4.7Ghz. We know the CPU is likely capable of this. From there you would want to see what voltage it applied (VID would be requested voltage, VCore would be actual) and what temperature you reached under a benchmark like cinebench.

From there you can decide to try decreasing the voltage to keep the temperatures down, or increase the voltage to aim for higher clock speeds.

Every setup is somewhat unique, so there is no definitive answer.

If you have been looking at overclocking videos and guides, continue to do so.

Solution