overclocking i7 950...bad idea?

srmt

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
hi guys
i'm going to buy a new cpu cooler for my i7 950
i was wondering could i overclock it to a higher level!??!
considering that it has gotten too old...can overclocking cause damage?!
my MOBO is x58 and i have an 650w PSU and gtx 960

tnx a lot

Solution

Kenton82

Reputable
I am in the same position as you. There are loads of experts on Tom's that will tell you the 950 is still a very capable CPU, and with overclocking, will do a much better job. It is true that overclocking such an old CPU can cause damage as the chip is old, but many have told me that it would probably be worth o/c'ing as to replace it (second hand) would be fairly inexpensive.
I have not o/c'd mine yet as i am not nearly competent enough. Still reading up and learning! But i will do it one day.

Anybody else like to put forward a more experienced point of view?

Good luck mate!
K.

srmt

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015

so you are saying that i can OC it, right? but how long can let it be overclocked? if the heat doesn't go up....

Kenton82

Reputable

Providing your motherboard is capable, then yes, sure is! How long it will last is a case of "how long is a piece of string"
If the O/C is stable, and temps are good, then who knows how long it will last! It is a lottery. But it is also an old chip...

K.

srmt

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015

would it still be good for gaming if i don't OC it?

Kenton82

Reputable

Really depends on what you wanna play!
I manage with mine at stock, but on more demanding games, the cpu is maxed out and does hold the system back a bit. Still not bad for a CPU that is nearly 10 years old!
Check the requirements of the games you want to play before being disappointed.

All in all i am very happy with my i7 950, but would like to O/C just to get the max performance from it, but i have a bit to learn before i attempt it!

Regards,
K.

Solution

srmt

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015

thanx a lot man...and just for you to know.. i have been able to play assassin's creed syndicate at high settings... but the over heating was the problem and i don't think that it is going to be a problem anymore
again....thank you:love:

Kenton82

Reputable
No problem, only too happy to help!
That's good, i have heard quite a few contradicting stories with assassins creed! Yeah just get a nice new cooler for the CPU and you will find far better temps. Just dont forget to re-apply some new paste when you fit the new cooler ;)

Good luck with your 950. I love finding people with the same ageing CPU as me! I try to squeeze everything out of this old beast as i can! 9 years old and still rockin'!
You can see my system in my name badge.

Good luck and have fun man!

Regards,
K