Question Overclocking i9 9900k with Asus Prime Z370 a-ii

Oct 25, 2019
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here so please excuse the fact that I’ve probably drawn out my question further than it has to be. In my current setup I have an 8700k with a Asus Z370 Prime a-ii motherboard and want to upgrade to a 9900k. I understand that 9th gen Intel cpu’s will work with z370 boards with a bios update. I would like to know if my motherboard will allow me to overclock the 9900k at all. I believe my 8 pin cpu power is enough, pease correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I’ve read the main area of concern when it comes to overclocking the 9900k is the mobo’s VRM. One of the main differences between a regular Z370 Prime a and my a-ii is that my mobo has an upgraded VRM (Dr. MOS). I’ve got a 1300W PSU and the cpu will be watercooled so I think my only area of concern right now is my motherboard. If anyone could offer any advice of bits or information I would very much appreciate it!

Last edited:
What is your reason for wanting a 9900k over an 8700k? If you are only gaming it’s a waste of money.
Overclocking is tricky and it’s all gonna depend on your exact situation, but better Z390 boards have 2 8 pin power connectors and 12 stage VRM. Yours looks like an 8 at best. I personally wouldn’t even run a 9900k on that board but you surely can.

Reactions: IceMan5077
Yes it will work no issues but...The Asus Z370A II is an updated motherboard with a slightly better VRM with an 8 Phase design though I am sure it is doubled. This motherboard will work though I would not overclock the 9900K, maybe a slight overclock but the power requirements start to sky rocket thus the additional power connectors on the Z390 boards and the VRM design really is not the best especially when overclocking the 9900K.

If at all possible and you do go for the 9900K your next upgrade should be a Z390 motherboard with a strong VRM. Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro and Elite have a 12 phase design and are very good and cost effective.

Reactions: IceMan5077
Oct 25, 2019
What is your reason for wanting a 9900k over an 8700k? If you are only gaming it’s a waste of money.
Overclocking is tricky and it’s all gonna depend on your exact situation, but better Z390 boards have 2 8 pin power connectors and 12 stage VRM. Yours looks like an 8 at best. I personally wouldn’t even run a 9900k on that board but you surely can.
No I don’t really game a whole lot. I mainly run specialized CAD softwares for school and work. I eventually wanted to build a new 3rd gen ryzen system but if I were able to pick up a 9900k on sale I would’ve liked to save some money and reuse my current board. Knowing it’s not necessarily capable to handle a 9900k at higher clock speeds doesn’t seem very enticing though. Thank you for your input!

Oct 25, 2019
Yes it will work no issues but...The Asus Z370A II is an updated motherboard with a slightly better VRM with an 8 Phase design though I am sure it is doubled. This motherboard will work though I would not overclock the 9900K, maybe a slight overclock but the power requirements start to sky rocket thus the additional power connectors on the Z390 boards and the VRM design really is not the best especially when overclocking the 9900K.

If at all possible and you do go for the 9900K your next upgrade should be a Z390 motherboard with a strong VRM. Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro and Elite have a 12 phase design and are very good and cost effective.
Thank you very much for your advice! I probably won’t go the 9900k route if I’ll have to buy a new motherboard. For what I’ll use it for, overclocking nets me significant bump in performance so if I keep it at stock clock speeds I’ll be doing it a disservice. I may end up waiting a bit and getting a 3rd gen ryzen system if that’s the case. I was just hoping to get similar performance while saving some money 😁.