Overclocking Intel 5820k on ASUS X99 Deluxe

GracieAllen

Honorable
Dec 8, 2015
I know there are a lot of discussions in here about overclocking (I've read several), but I'm trying to understand what I'm seeing in the BIOS of the X99 as well as overclocking to some reasonable level...

System is an ASUS X99 Deluxe, 5820K, Noctua NH-D15 (2 fans), rear case fan blowing out, 2 front fans blowing in across the hard drives, 32GB Ballistix 2400Mhz memory, EVGA GTX 970 video. 1TB SSD for O/S, applications, image catalogs, and normal stuff. 2-1TB Barracuda drives in RAID 0 for original images. 2-2TB Barracuda drives in RAID 0 for working images and derivatives. 4TB Toshiba for onboard backups. 3TB Barracudas in removable carrier for offline backups.

I've been reading overclocking information in GENERAL, and trying to find information specifically on overclocking the 5820 on the ASUS x99 motherboards. I even watched a video by "Linus" that was recommended... I'm still missing SOMETHING, but I don't know what. I even watched an INTERMINABLE 30-minute video from ASUS where they overclocked a z97 with AI Suite and tried to do the same things they did...

I don't want to do anything nuts - I just want to overclock this thing to the point where it's reliable, but as fast as is reasonable. I'm not doing a lot of gaming. The system is primarily for image management and image optimization so I'm using a lot of memory, and frequently a lot of horsepower, but GENERALLY not for more than 10-20 minutes (not like a game).

I ran the AI Suite, which I limited to 1.3V, 80 degrees C, and 4.6 GHz. It got to 4.6 and crashed, so it booted back up at 4.5 GHz. BUT, it then complained when it tried to do the fan profiling that it wasn't successful.

SO, I went into the BIOS to try to make sense of what I'm seeing. Here's what the settings I THINK are important look like on the AI Tweaking screen:
Ai Overclock Tuner xmp
xmp xmp ddr4-2400 16=-16-16-39-1.2v
cpu strap Auto should this be auto or 100 mhz?
bclk frequency 100 mhz
initial bclk frequency auto
cpu core ratio per core
Cores 1 & 2 41
Cores 3 thru 6 40
DRAM frequency DDR4-1233 mhz WHY IS THIS 2133 WHEN
THE MEMORY IS DDR4-2400 mhz?
OC tuner ratio tuning

CPU core voltage .944 (adaptive mode)
offset mode sign +
cpu core voltage offset Auto
Additional Tubo Mode CPU Core Voltage 1.301v
Total Adaptive Mode CPU Core Voltage 1.301v (THIS IS GREYED OUT)
cpu cache voltage .828 AUTO
cpu system agent voltage offset mode sign .968 v +
cpu system agent voltage offset AUTO
cpu svid support AUTO
cpu input voltage 1.904 AUTO

As I understand it, I'm not supposed to exceed 1.3 V for vcore with this CPU. And, the standard BCLK is 100MHz for memory less than 2666 MHz.

WHY is the DRAM Frequency shown as DDR4-2133 when the memory is DDR4-2400 and the XMP setting KNOWS it's DDR4-2400? Is there SOMETHING else that affects the value for DRAM Frequency?

WHICH value is vcore that I"m SUPPOSED to be keeping at 1.3v or less? Is this the CPU core voltage? If so, it SAYS it's at .944 and in adaptive mode. I can't find much information about adaptive mode. Is IT doing something on the fly to the voltage that's shown as .944?

I did some playing in AI Suite and let it run up to 4.6 GHz with voltage limited to 1.3 and temps limited to 80C (from my reading, this appears to be the max they'd like temp to be for extended periods). It crashed at 4.6 and acted somewhat goofy when used at 4.5 though it booted fine. I backed the CPU core ratio down to 44 and ran AIDA64 and IBT, and neither seemed to do much to the system. Temps stayed under 80 (actually, usually around 70C) in AIDA64 and IBT except when I set IBT to MAXIMUM. Then it used about 28GB of memory and temps hit 80-81C.

So, can one of y'all experts help me with my assumptions about voltage, temps and such, and what I should do to get the memory to work at the rated speed (or faster) - if it's not.

I"m ALSO looking for some utility that'll tell me what the cpu core temps are and the fan speeds. I'm currently using AI Suite to watch the fans, but it only has 1 CPU temp, and it doesn't appear to update very frequently so I'm wondering if there's some free utility out there that others prefer.

I DID find that when I started fiddling with AI Suite and letting it overclock, that my fan speeds weren't anywhere near 100%. It'd be reading 70C for CPU temps and the cpu fans would be running 800-900 rpm. Same for the front fans at around 1000 rpm. So, I went into Fan Xpert and changed the curves so my fans speed up sooner, and hit much higher speeds at lower temps. Now, at 65C everything is at 100%, which is barely audible but the CPU fans are at 1500 rpm and the front inbound fans are at 2000 rpm. So, I figure it's as cool as it's gonna get on the Noctua air cooler...

So, WHAT DON'T I KNOW THAT I SHOULD KNOW?

dwevans427

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Hey there, I think you and me may end up being buds. At least at some point. I am working with a similiar configuration and trying to get it working properly. So if I come across anything useful to help you I'll let you know. But for the moment Im dabbling with ASUS' automatic overclocking.

dwevans427

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Hey there, I think you and me may end up being buds. At least at some point. I am working with a similiar configuration and trying to get it working properly. So if I come across anything useful to help you I'll let you know. But for the moment Im dabbling with ASUS' automatic overclocking.

DKwithaK

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I also have put some serious thought (albeit misguided) into my latest build. Asus Deluxe 3.1 and a 5820K. I freaking love it.

The overclock is ridiculously easy as I trusted their thousands of hours vs. my ....not thousands of hours.

Now to start answering the questions.

• ■ WHY is the DRAM Frequency shown as DDR4-2133 when the memory is DDR4-2400 and the XMP setting KNOWS it's DDR4-2400? Is there SOMETHING else that affects the value for DRAM Frequency?

2133 is the default.The default setting = 2133 and the 2400 setting on your memory is the value as it was tested in the factory and found to be stable at. (yeah I didn't know that either) So you should go into the bios and adjust it there.

I didn't see the setting in the auto tuner. So you tube how to adjust dram speeds in the bios on the asus board. Not too incredibly difficult, but alarming when you have to do it thinking it should have just ran at that speed to begin with. I bought 16gb of the dominator platinum at 3000....showing up at 2133.... I became an expert very quick when I thought I had purchased an entire set of faulty memory.