OverClocking Intel E6420 CPU

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Hello,

I want to overclock my intel e6420 cpu without getting extra fans or any other things.
But i'm very scared to burn down RAM's or somthing like that.
My pc specs:

motherboard: Asus P5B
cpu: Intel E6420
ram's: 2x 1gb patriot ddr2 800mhz ( no extra cooling )
graphic: asus 8800GT
powersupply: 500w
case: Super Power E-6099 with 4 fans.

Right now i'm running cpu at 2.36 ghz and rams at 895mhz
But i'm rly scared to go forward. But i want to, I'm fan of assassin's creed and i think my pc specs are enough to handle assassin's creed at atleast 25 fps avarge.

I'm realy sory, my english SU***.
Thanks in advance

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
::chuckles.:: Well, maybe!

I take it you havent OC'd before?

here is the Line Up! Google search and find CPUz, HWMonitor, Core Temp, ATI Tools and Riva Tuner.

Thats a start. Its CPUz for real time VCore with 3 decimals as well as monitor a bunch of other stuff to do with your hardware!.

HWMonitor tracks the highs and lows, as well as the current value for alot of stuff! Core temps, voltages, etc.

Core temp is another handy tool for noting the CPU and core temps! As well as other things! Run this program and list the VID of your chip here when next you get the chance.

Then you have Riva Tuner to modify and monitor your Video card settings, and ATI Tools to test your video card over clock!

Wha'?? You are running your chip at 2.36 with the ram at 895? ::Looks thoughtful.:: Umm...

Can you list what you have already done to it? Whats the CPU multiplier at? Whats the FSB at?

Here, try turning off all the spread spectrum stuff you can find, then turn off the CPU extra functions like c1e, vanderpool, etc. (not processor cache.)

Set the multiplier to x 8, The FSB to 400, Ram to Sync mode. (1:1 ratio.) And once you tell me the VID of your chip, I can estimate a loaded voltage for the 3.2 Ghz. With the ram in sync and the FSB at 400, its running just what your ram is rated for! (FSB x Double data rate = 800 Mhz.)

Processor speed = Multiplier x FSB.

Good luck!

--Lupi

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Use hardware monitors like Lupiron suggested. Have you checked out the guides in this section?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Don't worry about the RAM, running 1:1 you won't need to get much above the rated speeds and voltages.

So are you using the stock Intel heatsink? I never used mine but should be able to get at least 333-350 FSB w/ out any other bios changes. Just make sure your thermals are good and you are stable when the cores are stressed. I like to use the Orthos Blend stress test to test my overclocks.

I used to run 400 FSB at stock voltage on my 6420 w/ a Thermalright 120 Ultra, temps were ~30 idle and 48 load. I was able to get more out of the chip, but stuck with 400 FSB for 24/7 operation.

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
coool, but about rams,
I didnt understand a part running 1:1. if i overclock my cpu rams goes up as well and i'm worry to burn them down :p I'll read a bit and thx so far.

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Lupiron, thx for offered help =).

ok i'm not rly professional in overclocking, but i done lots of this stuff before, just with software, big diffrence =).

ok here are all infos i can read from CPUz & BIOS & CoreTemp:

Bios:
CPU freq setting: 308 ( at the moment, normaly 266 default as u know )
DRAM Freq : DDR2 - 924mhz
Multipler: 8
CPU Freq : 2.47 ghz
FSB Freq: 1232mhz

CPU-z :
Bus Speed: 307.8mhz
Rated fsb: 1231.3mhz
Core Voltage: 1.384v
Multipler: x 8 (some times changes to x 6.0 no ideas why)

CoreTemp:
Freq: 2.47ghz ( 307.81 x 8.0)

Number of cores 2

Right now my pc is stable 100% but i need more speed :p

anyway CPU goes up to 60°C (using core temp temperatures fall less then 40, hows that possible :O ?)
Hopefully that isnt too much.

As software, I use:
RivaTunner
FanSpeed
CPU-z
CoreTemp
HWMonitor

But unlucky i cant overclock my graphic card.
The cooler it has, makes temperature low, but drivers doesnt want to show i got EN8800GT.
I dont know why not, so i cant change gpu with rivatunner =(.

Instead of Fanspeed i use SensorsView pro. is that fine ?

Thanks !

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Disable speed step! Thats what makes your multiplier change!

Change the Memory divider to Sync mode or 1:1 ratio! That way you have RAM over clock headroom!

I need to run! Will help more soon! Sorry! No time to type!

--lupi!

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
hehe there is no problem, i'm happy for all ur help so far.
Anyway, WHERE THE HELL do I setup these settings ?

SpeedStep ? Never seen any thing like it in bios
Memory Divider synic mode ? WTF ? never seen eather.

as I wrote down, i use p5b totaly update bios. Do i need any other updates to do that or somthing ?

Thanks in advance

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Update: I have set Memory Freq to: auto
Now CPU-z reads : DRAM FREQ: 307.8
FSB:DRAM: 1:1

is that good ? or I still might burn down ram's ? I rly dont want to take any chanses. I aint rich :p

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Thats fine! That was the Mem devider.
If its at 1:! its running in sync with the FSB. Perfect. Now that determines your speeds as usual. FSB

CPU frequency is FSB x CPU Multiplier!

memory speed in sync is FSB x 2. (double data rate, duh!)

So when it lists a single value, its doubled, as with CPUz. Thats perfect.
Your memory is now at 616 Mhz. So what you wanna do is use the Multiplier and FSB to get the CPU speed you want, as well as get your ram to 800 Mhz, or a bit higher.

--Lupi!

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
oh, cool !
any ideas about temperatures ? I mean, if i overclock to 2.8ghz i'll have atleast 65+ °C at full use. isnt that bad ?

I have tested my Graphic card now

Both tests made at: High @ No aa (1680x1050)

En8800GT normal mode
avarge fps: 15.43
max fps: 32.21
minimum fps: 7.22

EN8800GT TOP mode (overclocked to top specs)
avarge fps: 31.12
Max fps: 42.32
minimum fps: 23.16

Can you tell me HOW THE HELL Is this possible ? I think thats 2 big diffrence. Almost impossible. I cant belive my eyes. am i blind or somthing ?

And thanks a lot for your help =)

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Updated:

I have Processor running at 2.7ghz now
but voltage went to 1.4 is that oke ?

temperatures:
CPU: iddle: 34-40 loaded: 50-60 fully loaded: 65-70
GPU (graphic) iddle: 44-50 loaded: 50-60 fully loaded: 65-70.

Note: temperatures are in "°C".

Is this all ok ? or its rly bad ? and i hear some sounds comming from box (weird ones) I hope that doesnt mean somthing is wrong.

Thanks in advance

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
LOL, I hope so too!

CPU Temps. People recommend 65 C when OCing, because that is a safe margin. You also need to test an OC by re setting HWMonitor so it records new high values, and play the meanest game you have at the best settings for an hour, then look at the CPU and GPU temps and junk. Thats a more realistic showing of how hot your cores will get in a given sitting, when not using a powerful testing tool like Prime 95.

Nice Vid card temps! As far as they go, nothing is Bad yet! I routinely test over 75c, so sometimes you have to eat the heat and test anyways!

hey, can you list the VID field of core temp, please? Thats an important factor. Though all the "e" series has been 1.3000 or higher. I hope its a low one!!

--Lupi!

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
yes of course. hmm

VID: 1.3500v

But witch program actualy shows real temperature ?
Using sensorsview it says i got iddle 50°C
using core temp i got 34°C iddle :p some is liing but witch one =) ?

Yeh I know ! my graphic is rly nice =) Asus made very nice and good cooler on this version i got. so I can overclock it to gts edition =)
Saved some money :p

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
That VID was a core Temp returned Value? Do you mean 1.3250? Thats as high as a factory VID can go, hehe!

Use core temp, unless you wanna do some calibrating! DL Hwmonitor as well. It will show you more stuff!

*(CompuTronix, insert message here)*

hehe!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
VID is your Chips specific Voltage ID. Thats what tells the BIOS to set it to 1.xxx VCore. Your initial vcore at stock/auto.

--Lupi

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
ah,,, but i got 1.41 voltage is that bad ?

Any way i got somthing else to ask.

I'm having problems since i bought new graphic card. folowing stuff happends to me:

If i runn compluter, i got only black screen. nothing happends ......
then i gota power off my power supply, start pc, shut down and start then it starts working. any ideas why ?
if i press restart, it works fine. if i shut down it and wait 10 minutes
it doesnt show picture =(

I got 500w powersupply as i said before. what could be wrong =(( ?
Motherboard is new as well.

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
I tested in strees, core wasnt stable. now it is. but why i cant got over 2.6ghz ? i wana put it 3ghz =(

every time i put more then 2.6ghz bios says overclocking error.

any help with that ?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Uhh, did you unlink the ram and set it for sync more only? If all you did is up the FSB it automatically ups the ram speed as well, and if you didn't know that, it could cause trouble.

Higher up your ram is running at 924. Thats not good for 800 and no heat spreaders. Though some will reach a high speed. When you sync your ram, it will cause your double data rate to be double the FSB value. So if your FSB is 400, 400 x 8 = 3.2, and your ram at 800.

Not at 924! You have your memory divider set at something odd. 3:2 or something!

VID is in Core Temp. Thats the Only VID that matters. CPUz VID changes with core voltage! Once you FINALLY tell me that value, I can place a guess on the proper VCore voltage for a given speed.

--Lupi