Overclocking intel HD 4600?

Pcbuilder78687

Prominent
May 6, 2017
So, I have an i7 4790k and have been playing games with the igpu for a while.
I was able to get decent performance in old games, but i want to play AAA games now, and I am saving up for my gpu. But I wanted to know if I can overclock my intel hd 4600 to play those games now.

After a little searching around I tried using intel XTU but the graphics section in there was locked and i could not even unlock the overclock lock in the cpu section.

Please help me.
Thanks in advance

You should have some options to increase the amount of ram available to the igpu; more is better.

igpu is highly dependent on ram performance. Dual channel for sure. If you can overclock your ram, the igpu will perform better.

What graphics card are you saving up for?

Pcbuilder78687

Prominent
May 6, 2017
yeah...I see your point, I am saving up for my gpu as mentioned but it would take a lot of time. And I am not even planning to touch the cpu clocks or voltage what so ever so...I think it's safe to just overclock the igpu, wouldn't it? But I am still a noob so I may be wrong.

Pcbuilder78687

Prominent
May 6, 2017
to geofelt,
I am saving for GTX 1060 6gb

and my ram is Kingston hyper furyx 8gb X 2

and that's what made me think if could allot some memory from ram to the igpu to increase it's performance.
please correct me if i'm wrong

Pcbuilder78687

Prominent
May 6, 2017
Actually I have 12gb of free ram space just sitting there even under load and i am running out of vram when it comes to AAA titles. So.....Can I allot more memory to the gpu and if so.. how?

Pcbuilder78687

Prominent
May 6, 2017
Actually there i something called shared video memory but it has a maximum limit of 1024mb.
I want to allot atleast 3-4 gb of ram to the igpu if possible, as I have seen on few articles and vids some people have allocated 4gb to intel hd 4600.

Pcbuilder78687

Prominent
May 6, 2017

Yeah I think

Ha.. not even worth the time, effort, resources or power.

Integrated HD graphics is just for office computers that need to display simple things such as presentations and such.

If someone wants to game they 'need' a dedicated video card hands down. Also you will then need a PSU that can give the power needed to the GPU and to top that you need a CPU/brain & RAM that can keep up with it.

Their pricey but worth it.

Pcbuilder78687

Prominent
May 6, 2017

The cpu and the ram are as best as they can get (i7 4790k, 16gb ddr3 hyper furyx memory) the only bottlenecks are the gpu and the psu. But the psu has served me well enough without any issues and it gets the job done. I think many people hate it (zebronics) because of it's low efficiency and quality. But i dont know....please shed some light on it

Solution

Just read this sticky:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Then you will understand why we recommend that people who want to get a mid or high tier GPU need a quality PSU to go alongside it.

Good info above.

The GTX 1060 needs at least a 400W:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1060/

You need to at least get a tier 3 or above but i would recommend tier 2.