Overclocking Keeps On Getting Cancelled...

rlapalme777

Reputable
May 18, 2015
So, I have an A10-5745M APU, alright. The normal clock speed is set at 2.1GHz whilst my overclock has been at 2.6/2.7 GHz. For some reason, the Clock speed gets reduced down to 2.1 GHz without me touching anything. It is doing this at random times and I cannot re-activate the clock because there is no setting for it. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? It's rather annoying when I get sudden drops in performance and there is no way to fix it.

Solution
rlapalme777 - HP CoolSense. Isn't that a HP Notebook proprietary software for fan control? Hmm, so You have this APU in notebook. I see. How's the BiOS version of Your notebook? And what HP model do You have? Pavillion/NX, or Pro? [I believe that Envy, and Elite, or Spectre don't come with APU solutions].

And one more thing. AMD A10 mobile cpus are strictly TDP bound. So if the rated TDP goes over rated TDP, they simply downclock. It's internal command of the CPU. If it's not overridden by external command from BiOS/UEFi, it simply relapses to it's genuine state and clock.
Hi there rlapalme777,

Do You have Cool 'n' Quiet enabled in Your BiOS? It tends to underclock Your CPU from it's maximum values, in order to lower heat dissipation, power consumption and needlessly high clock.

Does the clock go down, even when under load?

regards

uplink

rlapalme777

Reputable
May 18, 2015

Alright so, there is no option for that in my UEFI BiOS, but there is the HP CoolSense Software pre-installed already on it. That has been always disabled in addition to the process tree on it ending. The clock does go down, even when under load. This happens not too often, but it does.

-rlapalme777

rlapalme777 - HP CoolSense. Isn't that a HP Notebook proprietary software for fan control? Hmm, so You have this APU in notebook. I see. How's the BiOS version of Your notebook? And what HP model do You have? Pavillion/NX, or Pro? [I believe that Envy, and Elite, or Spectre don't come with APU solutions].

And one more thing. AMD A10 mobile cpus are strictly TDP bound. So if the rated TDP goes over rated TDP, they simply downclock. It's internal command of the CPU. If it's not overridden by external command from BiOS/UEFi, it simply relapses to it's genuine state and clock.

Solution

rlapalme777

Reputable
May 18, 2015
1st: Yes, it is. Does it serve the same purpose as the "Cool 'n Quiet" function? 2nd: American MegaTrends F.26. I have an HP Pavilion 17.3 (I don't remember the SPECIFIC Model # of the family)

rlapalme777 - if I may ask the question. How exactly did You manage to OC the CPU? In BiOS? HP aren't big fans of OC in their products, that's why I ask. Please try to update the BiOS, if You have newer available. C'n'Q and HP CoolSense are two different technologies. Whilst HP CoolSense take only care about fans, C'n'Q is an equivalent of Intels SpeedStep, where it takes down voltage, CPU multiplier, bus frequency and plenty of others.

rlapalme777

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I don't know how it can do that.... It's just always been able to, maybe because it's an APU? Gah, idk. Anyway, I solved the problem. Thank you for helping me out with this, I really do appreciate it a ton!

rlapalme777

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I just did a full shut down on my pc by doing the Shift+Shutdown way, so that it didn't go into a Hybrid Shutdown. And turned it back on again haha. I haven't had problems again with this so yeah. Again, thanks for your help with everything. :)