[SOLVED] Overclocking Kingston Value(laptop)RAM

FreeMan Alex

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
Overclocking Kingston ValueRAM 32GB (16GBx2) KVR32S22D8/16 SO-DIMM (laptop RAM)

Hey guys,

I'm going through some thinking right now, regarding my mini PC build.
I'm running on 2 x 16GB SO-DIMMs stock @3200Mhz CL22 but overclocked to 3400Mhz.
I have not touched voltages or anything, just the memory frequency.
I'm hoping to bring this RAM to 3600Mhz, but doing so without actually touching the voltage.
This RAM, has got the C-die Hynix which apparently is very decent, considering this is a ValueRAM.
My built is AsRock DeskMini X300, Ryzen 7 Pro 4750g, above mentioned RAM, NVME storage.
I already know OC'ing will obviously bring up the timings as well but the frequency gain will most definitely outrun the increased timings.
Has anyone got this RAM? Has anyone been able to obtain 400Mhz gains in SO-DIMM RAM without touching voltages?
I mean, 400Mhz is a 12.5% increase. I also know I can try this myself but I want to do my research before going through with it.
Some might say the OC is not really necessary but in this case, it really is.
I've seen results of OC'd RAM for the older 3400g APU and the gain is pretty huge in gaming. After all, the RAM will be used as VRAM, so obviously, the higher the frequency, the better the performance gain.
Do let me know what your thoughts are on this, or maybe if anyone is running similar builds, what are those builds, from a RAM perspective?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Unfortunately Valorant does not allow any overlaying FPS counter software due to its anticheat software.
So I can't say exactly in Valorant.
I did test Rust with MSI Afterburner. No graphic changes:
Single channel @3400Mhz - 27.1FPS on average
Dual channel @ 3400Mhz - 40FPS on average
Dual channel @ 3600Mhz - 42.8FPS

Do keep in mind that this being an APU, any increase in RAM frequency matters due to lack of VRAM.
That’s more than I thought you would get from 3400 vs 3600 but the single vs dual is what I expected.

Lutfij

Titan
You could try and tinker with tightening timings while on DDR4-3200MHz as opposed to bumping the frequency. You're going to see more benefit with tight timings as opposed to higher frequency. If you had both, then that'd be great but there's a reason why they're known as value rams.

Also, overclocking will mean more heat, the desk mini wasn't designed to have overclocking in mind.

FreeMan Alex

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
You could try and tinker with tightening timings while on DDR4-3200MHz as opposed to bumping the frequency. You're going to see more benefit with tight timings as opposed to higher frequency. If you had both, then that'd be great but there's a reason why they're known as value rams.

Also, overclocking will mean more heat, the desk mini wasn't designed to have overclocking in mind.
Cheers mate.
I decided to OC after all.
Managed to bring the RAM up to 3600Mhz and funny enough, there's definitely a performance increase, in Valorant at least. I was getting around 120-180FPS, never seeing the counter go past 200. Now it stays past 200 a good bit.
So just for context, the processor would normally play at around 65C on single channel mode, as I initially only purchased a memory module. I ordered another one yesterday and received it today. Naturally, I now have my setup running in dual channel.
The interesting thing is that the CPU now gets hotter than before. That 65C temperature, now went up to 73C. This BTW, happened with the RAM at stock 3200Mhz.
So this, as a personal experience now, also confirms an old question of mine, dual channel does indeed increase CPU temperature.
Brought the RAM back up to 3600Mhz and what do you know, no difference in temperature.
Joggling between multiple fairly demanding apps, including Valorant, Photoshop and New Edge with 12 opened tabs, does bring the processor up to 78-79 degrees C.
Long story short, overclocking these RAM modules isn't hard and certainly works without touching the voltages.
Not gonna bother with timings as honestly, this is ValueRAM after all and in the end, trying to lower the timing won't get me a performance increase of more than 1%, whereas, I'm sure the 400Mhz OC did get me at least 5%, visible in FPS counters.
Thanks for your reply mate.
This can be closed I guess.
I said I'll leave it here in case other people want to do this in a deskmini / mini PC.

Cheers mate.
I decided to OC after all.
Managed to bring the RAM up to 3600Mhz and funny enough, there's definitely a performance increase, in Valorant at least. I was getting around 120-180FPS, never seeing the counter go past 200. Now it stays past 200 a good bit.
So just for context, the processor would normally play at around 65C on single channel mode, as I initially only purchased a memory module. I ordered another one yesterday and received it today. Naturally, I now have my setup running in dual channel.
The interesting thing is that the CPU now gets hotter than before. That 65C temperature, now went up to 73C. This BTW, happened with the RAM at stock 3200Mhz.
So this, as a personal experience now, also confirms an old question of mine, dual channel does indeed increase CPU temperature.
Brought the RAM back up to 3600Mhz and what do you know, no difference in temperature.
Joggling between multiple fairly demanding apps, including Valorant, Photoshop and New Edge with 12 opened tabs, does bring the processor up to 78-79 degrees C.
Long story short, overclocking these RAM modules isn't hard and certainly works without touching the voltages.
Not gonna bother with timings as honestly, this is ValueRAM after all and in the end, trying to lower the timing won't get me a performance increase of more than 1%, whereas, I'm sure the 400Mhz OC did get me at least 5%, visible in FPS counters.
Thanks for your reply mate.
This can be closed I guess.
I said I'll leave it here in case other people want to do this in a deskmini / mini PC.

Did you try overclocking before adding the 2nd stick of RAM? I would have expected a good increase by going dual channel but that RAM speed bump I’d have expected <5% increase in FPS.

FreeMan Alex

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
Did you try overclocking before adding the 2nd stick of RAM? I would have expected a good increase by going dual channel but that RAM speed bump I’d have expected <5% increase in FPS.
Unfortunately Valorant does not allow any overlaying FPS counter software due to its anticheat software.

Do keep in mind that this being an APU, any increase in RAM frequency matters due to lack of VRAM.

That’s more than I thought you would get from 3400 vs 3600 but the single vs dual is what I expected.

Reactions: Flakon2022
Solution