Overclocking Limits

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Ok i got the 5200 as discussed in my previous posts and ive set about
overclocking it.

My previous GF4 MX420 was not able to overclock very much, only 15MHZ on the
core and 10MHz on the memory.

However so far (using CoolBits and the Auto Detect function) ive been able
to overclock the 5200 from 250/360 to 280/420. The Auto Detect feature came
up with something like 277/419 so i just rounded them up to whole figures.

Now is there a reccomended maximum to overclocking? A certain percentage
increase that should not be breached? I understand its a per card thing,
others OC better than others, but just as a general rule?

Im currently getting a PCMark 2001SE score of 5814 with the current OC. My
system specs are P4 (Northwood) 3GHz, 1GB DDR400 Dual Channel, Intel
D865PERL motherboard, 2x Western Digital WD800JB HDD's. Do you guys think i
can do better still with further overclocking or is it not realy worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
--
Collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/GLYTCH_2K4
MSN: GLYTCH_2K4(at)msn.com
Xbox Live: (Coming September)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"GLYTCH (A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak)" <GLYTCH_2k4@msn.com> wrote in message
news:2lil7sFdahsiU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Ok i got the 5200 as discussed in my previous posts and ive set about
> overclocking it.
>
> My previous GF4 MX420 was not able to overclock very much, only 15MHZ on
the
> core and 10MHz on the memory.
>
> However so far (using CoolBits and the Auto Detect function) ive been able
> to overclock the 5200 from 250/360 to 280/420. The Auto Detect feature
came
> up with something like 277/419 so i just rounded them up to whole figures.
>
> Now is there a reccomended maximum to overclocking? A certain percentage
> increase that should not be breached? I understand its a per card thing,
> others OC better than others, but just as a general rule?
>
> Im currently getting a PCMark 2001SE score of 5814 with the current OC. My
> system specs are P4 (Northwood) 3GHz, 1GB DDR400 Dual Channel, Intel
> D865PERL motherboard, 2x Western Digital WD800JB HDD's. Do you guys think
i
> can do better still with further overclocking or is it not realy worth it?
>
> Thanks in advance.

As you say, it per card. You will need to increase slowly until it become
unstable.

CapFusion,...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

>As you say, it per card. You will need to increase slowly until it become
>unstable.
>
>CapFusion,...

Yes, raise the core and memory slowly until you see problems then lower them by
5-10 and that should be it.

I use the point sprite test (spinning horse) in 3Dmark2001 to test the memory.
If you see tiny flashing blocks the memory is set too high. Look really good
and run it a few times. You can use the other tests to test the core. If any
tests lock up the core is set too high.

I usually work with the memory first, getting it as high as possible using the
point sprite test. Then I work on the core, and get that as high as possible.
That way you can get the highest memory bandwith possible. That will help the
most overall with framerate.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:42:26 +0100, GLYTCH (A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak) wrote:

>However so far (using CoolBits and the Auto Detect function) ive been able
>to overclock the 5200 from 250/360 to 280/420. The Auto Detect feature came
>up with something like 277/419 so i just rounded them up to whole figures.

I have been able to overclock my prolink gf 5200 ultimate (not ultra!)
to 300/580. Although I've heard those cards are able to go at 300/600
I have never managed to get ram running at 600 despite of radiators
attached to ram chips.


>Do you guys think i
>can do better still with further overclocking or is it not realy worth it?

In my opinion it is not worth the trouble. I run my card at standard
values 250/500, because although I have been able to overclock the
card all I got was the 5% increase of card's efficiency.

--
cyberkid(_a_)chello.pl
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"GLYTCH (A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak)" <GLYTCH_2k4@msn.com> wrote in message
news:2lil7sFdahsiU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Ok i got the 5200 as discussed in my previous posts and ive set about
> overclocking it.
>
> My previous GF4 MX420 was not able to overclock very much, only 15MHZ on
the
> core and 10MHz on the memory.
>
> However so far (using CoolBits and the Auto Detect function) ive been able
> to overclock the 5200 from 250/360 to 280/420. The Auto Detect feature
came
> up with something like 277/419 so i just rounded them up to whole figures.
>
> Now is there a reccomended maximum to overclocking? A certain percentage
> increase that should not be breached? I understand its a per card thing,
> others OC better than others, but just as a general rule?
>
> Im currently getting a PCMark 2001SE score of 5814 with the current OC. My
> system specs are P4 (Northwood) 3GHz, 1GB DDR400 Dual Channel, Intel
> D865PERL motherboard, 2x Western Digital WD800JB HDD's. Do you guys think
i
> can do better still with further overclocking or is it not realy worth it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>

Why have such a low spec card with such a nice spec'd system?
If you are into games (which I assume) why not get a card that can just do
things better ?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Athura wrote:
>> Im currently getting a PCMark 2001SE score of 5814 with the current
>> OC. My system specs are P4 (Northwood) 3GHz, 1GB DDR400 Dual
>> Channel, Intel D865PERL motherboard, 2x Western Digital WD800JB
>> HDD's. Do you guys think i can do better still with further
>> overclocking or is it not realy worth it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>>
>
> Why have such a low spec card with such a nice spec'd system?
> If you are into games (which I assume) why not get a card that can
> just do things better ?

Well i just cant afford or justify going out and spending £300 on a top spec
graphics card (as much as id like to) when i mostly play my games on xbox.
Yeah im big into games and i do play PC games, but not as much as i do on my
xbox so i cant justify the cost. Besides the most "hardcore" game i play is
Postal 2 which isnt like realy heavy on the graphics front anyway.

Hey if you wanna buy me a 6800Ultra to complete my rig then be my guest lol.

Matt
--
Collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/GLYTCH_2K4
MSN: GLYTCH_2K4(at)msn.com
Xbox Live: (Coming September)