Overclocking lock in intel XTU on i7-4790

JJingle

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
so, I recently installed intel XTU to see if I could do any undervolting to squeeze performance out of my system. It's currently liguid cooled by a 120mm AIO, so I have plenty of thermal headroom. However, when I opened it up i saw the setting Overclocking Lock. Mousing over the information blurb shows that by default it's supposed to be 'unlocked', but it's active setting is 'locked'. Is there any way to unlock it, or is it just a red herring in XTU?

The specifications:

CPU: i7-4790 (non-k)
MOBO: Msi H81i (Bios version 10.6)
Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

i was able, on my 4790(non-k) to get the BLCK to something like 100.2 which gave me, with turbo boost, an OC speed of 4091 - not much of an OC, but it is a locked CPU

I don't know what board you are on, but XTU would conflict with my BIOS on an ASUs Z97M-Plus mobo (BIOS settings would just change spontaneously), and i'd have to un-install it after i used it

JJingle

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017

I was more curious about that specific setting on XTU, as it seems odd it would show up on a locked cpu. I know it doesn't show up on my laptop, if that means anything.

As for the board I have, it's the Msi h81i, which seems to lack any setting for bclk as well.