Overclocking Makes Windows 10 Freeze On Startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2018
Hi,

So recently I've overclocked my CPU and GPU, I've got an i7-8700K running at 5Ghz, the voltage is at 1.35 Volts, I followed a YouTube Video for this and in terms of long gaming hours (all day etc) it seems fine, it never freezes or bluescreens etc. I've also bumped my Gtx 1080 TI 11GB to 150+ Core Clock and 550Mhz + on Memory, I've been steadily backing it down and I've just plain switched it off at this point because I'm not sure what's causing the startup freeze.

Basically, in summary, I turn on my PC and all seems fine, I either login or the display screen doesn't even show and after a few minutes it freezes or it immediately freezes and I can't get it to un-freeze. So I force restart and it's all fine, I can then continue gaming with no interruptions.

I'm not entirely sure what's causing this issue as it switching it off and on again seems to fix it, it tends to happen when I've been at College all day or left it off for a prolonged period of time; as soon as I restart it, it fixes itself.

I'm not entirely sure what could be causing the problem, whether it's an overclocking issue or not, I've struggled to pin point the issue as it isn't consistent, one minute it's there then it's gone. Any help would be much appreciated.

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Not very clever to be over-clocking GPU and CPU at the same time as if something goes wrong there's an extra option you need to rule out. Completely turn off the GPU overclock for now and turn the CPU over-clock down by 25mhz at a time until it can not only boot up on its own without freezing but also pass through a Prime95 Small FFT torture test for 6 hours.

Apr 20, 2018

I think I may have found the problem. 1. When I went and looked back at my BIOS Settings not all of the settings I had changed had actually saved, some of the limits etc. and some features that were recommended to be switch off when overclocking where still on. I had turned off the GPU Overclock at this point, I restarted my machine and all seemed good.

I then slowly turned up my GPU Overclock and found when the GPU's Core Clock was at 150Mhz+ the driver would crash and my machine would temp freeze. So I've been stressing my GPU and found it sits happily at 125Mhz+ I didn't need to stress it for long because the Driver would crash rather quickly after the test started. So, I believe I may have found my solution, if not I will completely switch off the GPU Overclock and leave the CPU clocked for a while, stress the hell out of it and then slowly the turn the GPU up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.