[SOLVED] Overclocking Memory Speed and Timings

BunnyK

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019
My specs:
ryzen 5 2600x
Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 2x8GB kit

My ram speed is 3200MHz and the timings are 16-18-18-38. I was wondering if it's worth it to try and change these timings to be faster, and if so, by how much?
I'm very new to overclocking and would appreciate the help!

Solution
No. Set the XMP profile and then forget it. Not only will you NOT get the memory to run faster than 3200mhz on 2nd Gen Ryzen unless you are willing to do a GREAT deal of trial and error, (And probably not then either) but you will also NEED to do a GREAT DEAL of stability testing afterwards and I'm talking 8-16 hours, at least, of running Memtest86 and Prime95 with a custom configured test, to ensure the memory configuration is stable and avoid micro errors that will corrupt your entire file system if it is not stable.

So, for MOST people, and I mean 99.9% of users, it is better to simply set the XMP profile in the BIOS, which will leave your memory configured for the advertised speed and timings you listed, and then forget about it...
No. Set the XMP profile and then forget it. Not only will you NOT get the memory to run faster than 3200mhz on 2nd Gen Ryzen unless you are willing to do a GREAT deal of trial and error, (And probably not then either) but you will also NEED to do a GREAT DEAL of stability testing afterwards and I'm talking 8-16 hours, at least, of running Memtest86 and Prime95 with a custom configured test, to ensure the memory configuration is stable and avoid micro errors that will corrupt your entire file system if it is not stable.

So, for MOST people, and I mean 99.9% of users, it is better to simply set the XMP profile in the BIOS, which will leave your memory configured for the advertised speed and timings you listed, and then forget about it. Hopefully, it will run at those settings without any issues. Before doing so, it would be a good idea to check to see if there is an updated chipset driver available for your B450 chipset on the AMD website and install the latest version if there is, AND make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date as well.

Given the fact that you have a lower end B450 motherboard, I wouldn't be too surprised if you find that you end up having to manually configure the memory for 2933mhz as some boards will simply not run 2nd Gen Ryzen at anything beyond that especially if you don't have a memory kit with B-die IC's and a really decent motherboard.

Solution

BunnyK

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019

So, for MOST people, and I mean 99.9% of users, it is better to simply set the XMP profile in the BIOS, which will leave your memory configured for the advertised speed and timings you listed, and then forget about it. Hopefully, it will run at those settings without any issues. Before doing so, it would be a good idea to check to see if there is an updated chipset driver available for your B450 chipset on the AMD website and install the latest version if there is, AND make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date as well.

Given the fact that you have a lower end B450 motherboard, I wouldn't be too surprised if you find that you end up having to manually configure the memory for 2933mhz as some boards will simply not run 2nd Gen Ryzen at anything beyond that especially if you don't have a memory kit with B-die IC's and a really decent motherboard.

Okay, thanks for the help! I had already updated all my drivers and set the XMP profile before making this post, but im glad to know that i dont need to do much else