Overclocking my burner

G

I am planning to try to flash my Plextor 121032A with the firmware of a 161040A. Just in case I succeeded in flashing it and the burner didn't work properly do you think I could flash back the old firmware?

I don't know with program I will use for flashing it, as the Plextor flashing software won't allow you to flash the wrong type of burner.

Is there any place where I can download a ms-dos based flashing program and the .bin for both burners?

In case nothing worked properly I would return the burner to the shop, yeah, I know I'm a SOB, but I hope I can overclock my burner...

The best way to fight boredom is sleeping

G

I have already found the flasher and the binaries, and I have emailed them to my mixmail account, I just need to download them at a friend's home and put them into a RW or floppy, and then I will try them at home.

Fa1c0n

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds a bit dangerous!

Some people are so jealous of those of us (like myself) who <i>have</i> the 16/10/40A, that they will try anything. J/K :smile:

:wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool:
:smile: <b><font color=green> Have a day </font color=green></b> :smile:

G

I always buy the best thing I can buy...

In September the best thing around was the 121032A...

Fa1c0n

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, that's alright. I still have a Voodoo 3.

Sorry I don't know how to overclock a CD-RW, or I would be of more help.

Makaveli

Splendid
don't be foolish man you will F*uck your Burner! Changing firmware won't make it faster! It's the Hardware not the firmware that u would need to change! Changing the firmware won't increase the motor speed in your drive! If your that bent on it buy a 16x burner that idea is just plain stupid!

G

don't be foolish man you will F*uck your 1Ghz T-Bird! Changing multiplier won't make it faster! It's the Hardware not the multiplier that u would need to change! Changing the multiplier won't increase the processing speed in your processor! If your that bent on it buy a 1.2 T-Bird that idea is just plain stupid!

I depend economically on my parents and they won't change my burner everytime I wish.

G

I haven't done any research on this, but the only way I can see this working is if the hardware is capable of it, and has the same low-level interface to the firmware. If there is just one critical component that has a difference interface, I don't see how the firmware would be able to talk to it. This would render the drive useless, and it would be iffy if you could re-flash to the original firmware.

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.

Secretninja

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
are you gona do this or not? cos if you do i want to know the result? also if your so desprate for a new faster burner why not sell that one and save up the extra neded to get the new one? (but please dont if you can overclock it i know lots of people who want to try)

Fa1c0n

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with Makaveli and Bartleby on this one juanmi.

I think there is a <i>very</i> small chance of it working. Even if it did work you would only gain about a minute or less in burn speed. If you were on a big budget and like to live on the edge, I'd say go for it just for the heck of it. But since you aren't, I say that it is very dangerous. Drive timing is very precise. If you mess up your firmware you might be screwed bad. If you know someone who has successfully overclocked your model of burner, then I guess it may be possible. But if you are being a pioneer, then I hope you are prepared to suffer the way pioneers always do!

Best of luck to you!

G

Damn it is true, I am not gonna risk f*cking my burner, as my parents won't buy me a new one...

But I have read that many users have been able to overclock their Plextor 8/4/32 burners to 12/4/32 burners. I suppose that it is because they are built in the same factory and using the same components, it's way cheaper than manufacturing different stuff, just like some processors are labeled as if they were slower, because of economic reasons.