Overclocking my CPU

PrYmeChaos

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Hello i was wondering if it would be a good idea to overclock my cpu for gaming, my system specs are
* i5-4670K CPU
* Corsair H80i liquid cpu cooler
* Evga Geforce GTX 770 SC 2gb GPU
* Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H motherboard
* Evga 750G2 Supernova Power supply
* 16 gigs of ram
Thank you

Solution
Overclocking will not get you much for gaming, except in a few CPU intensive games. I think that it is worth experimenting with. You should be able to get to 4.2 Ghz easily. How much more is a matter of luck in the 'silicon lottery'. Run some 'before and after' benchmarks and let us know how it turns out.

PhysX_HW

Distinguished
You can, but if you are just gaming, it is more than enough for your GPU, so in most cases, you won't get more FPS.
But of course, it is exciting to tweak a CPU, experimenting with it and finding its limits, and it's pretty easy to do with yours.
All you need to do is increasing the core multiplier and that's it really. If you have a nice tower cooler or water, you can jumps straight to 45x and set 1.3V. Otherwise try 41-42x with voltage set to auto.

Overclocking will not get you much for gaming, except in a few CPU intensive games. I think that it is worth experimenting with. You should be able to get to 4.2 Ghz easily. How much more is a matter of luck in the 'silicon lottery'. Run some 'before and after' benchmarks and let us know how it turns out.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS