[SOLVED] Overclocking my gpu with a trash power supply

KD266

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Hello i got a couple of questions about overclocking with my <Mod Edit> 280W psu that was prebuilt into my pc:
Will it actually work and is it risky to do it with a weak psu?
Will i gain any performance and for what percentage of overclocking like 2%-8% or something because i dont want to overdo it/
Because this psu has worked perfectly for the past year or so, even on full usage and high temperatures does it mean its not that bad?
Also to be more precise im looking to overclock only to play the new forza horizon 5 with a bit more fps because i think my gpu can barely run it .

System specs:
I7 4790
16GB RAM
256GB SSD
500GB HDD
GTX 1050 TI Palit StormX

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hello i got a couple of questions about overclocking with my <Mod Edit> 280W psu that was prebuilt into my pc:

Maybe. Yes.

Will i gain any performance and for what percentage of overclocking like 2%-8% or something because i dont want to overdo it

You'll gain a handful of frames. Not a massive amount.

Because this psu has worked perfectly for the past year or so, even on full usage and high temperatures does it mean its not that bad?

No.

And in any case, you don't know it's worked perfectly. All you know is that it has turned on and run. Junk PSUs can damage parts over a long time; you may have already shortened the lifespan of your...
MSI afterburner is what you want to overclock your GPU if you have a garbage PSU I would not bother until you have that problem sorted out but you should still get a little overclock out of it but do not push to hard its probably holding you back.

Performance gains are minimal and in my opinion not worth it. You will gain on average around 8% performance. At 30fps, that's 33fps. At 60fps, that's 65fps. Overclocking stresses the silicon more than it was designed to withstand, and in some cases can cause instability if run for long periods of time.

DSzymborski

Titan

Maybe. Yes.

Will i gain any performance and for what percentage of overclocking like 2%-8% or something because i dont want to overdo it

No.

And in any case, you don't know it's worked perfectly. All you know is that it has turned on and run. Junk PSUs can damage parts over a long time; you may have already shortened the lifespan of your components.

Also to be more precise im looking to overclock only to play the new forza horizon 5 with a bit more fps because i think my gpu can barely run it .

System specs:
I7 4790
16GB RAM
256GB SSD
500GB HDD
GTX 1050 TI Palit StormX

It's a bad idea. You're already gambling if your PSU is as junky as you say. Just how junky it is changes the odds -- that's why it's important to provide complete information -- but just changes how bad an idea this is, not whether the idea is bad or not.

Solution

KD266

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Maybe. Yes.

No.

And in any case, you don't know it's worked perfectly. All you know is that it has turned on and run. Junk PSUs can damage parts over a long time; you may have already shortened the lifespan of your components.

It's a bad idea. You're already gambling if your PSU is as junky as you say. Just how junky it is changes the odds -- that's why it's important to provide complete information -- but just changes how bad an idea this is, not whether the idea is bad or not.
i guess i will just avoid it thanks for the help

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
A high quality PSU can overcome poor quality VRMs and other inept hardware issues far better than quality hardware can overcome a trash PSU.
I agree with not trying until ypu get a better psu.