[SOLVED] Overclocking my GPU

fishpain

Reputable
Mar 30, 2020
Hi I currently run a fairly new system with an EVGA RTX 2080 Ti gpu and i am looking at overclocking it using msi afterburner and have fiddled around with it a fair amount but i am worried about overheating the gpu and breaking it, can somebody give me some advice as to danger limits and risk/the best way to find a comfortable limit.

If any more information is needed to answer ill be checking frequently. Thanks in advance

Solution
It happens to be an extremely hot day here in the uk aswell. 30 Degrees and up.
Does not affect load thermals as much as it does idle. The air inside the chassis will always be warmer than in your room.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D SE
A)H150i Pro is front or top mounted? Intake or exhaust? Push only, pull only, or push-pull?
The H150i Pro is a silence focused CLC that does not deliver in the performance area. If you have it set up in the front as intake, I'd suggest moving it to the top as exhaust.

B)The stock LL120s - if you're still using them - are weak, considering the gpu. The bottom and center fans likely do not bring in enough air to keep the gpu fed.

What I would suggest:
A)Front intake: Stronger intake fans...
Hi I currently run a fairly new system with an EVGA RTX 2080 Ti gpu and i am looking at overclocking it using msi afterburner and have fiddled around with it a fair amount but i am worried about overheating the gpu and breaking it, can somebody give me some advice as to danger limits and risk/the best way to find a comfortable limit.

If any more information is needed to answer ill be checking frequently. Thanks in advance

There are safeguards on the GPU to prevent it from running so hot it damages itself, it will thermal throttle long before any damage occurs.

The best way to find its "limits" is by increasing the speed until it is no longer stable, then dial it back until you find a stable speed that wont crash.

fishpain

Reputable
Mar 30, 2020
Okay so when using a stress test like msi kombustor as long as the test isnt crashing, i shouldnt be causing any damage?? The power limit of my gpu can go to 130 percent but as soon as i raise it to that with the stress test im going up to 87 degrees 88 degrees but i can still raise the core clock and memory clock without it crashing is that alright then? Im sorry if it sounds stupid.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Turing cards thermal throttle at 83-84C with emergency shutdown at 88-90C, so you are beyond what would be reasonable.
[The reason for the '-' is because it depends on the exact model.]

Overclocking doesn't increase thermals that much, so it sounds to me like you don't have any headroom to OC the card to begin with. I'd consider 80C for max safe use; 83-84C aren't that far off.
Dial it back down, or do something about your chassis airflow.

fishpain

Reputable
Mar 30, 2020
So the issue would be the airflow my graphics card is getting? It happens to be an extremely hot day here in the uk aswell. 30 Degrees and up.

My Setup

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti
RAM: 2x16Gb G Skill
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD
Cooling: Corsair H150i Pro with the three fans on the radiator

My question is basically would my gpu not be getting enough cooling with this setup and what can i do about it if so. Im willing to rebuild the setup as it was my first time and i definitely didnt do it perfect.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It happens to be an extremely hot day here in the uk aswell. 30 Degrees and up.
Does not affect load thermals as much as it does idle. The air inside the chassis will always be warmer than in your room.

A)H150i Pro is front or top mounted? Intake or exhaust? Push only, pull only, or push-pull?
The H150i Pro is a silence focused CLC that does not deliver in the performance area. If you have it set up in the front as intake, I'd suggest moving it to the top as exhaust.

B)The stock LL120s - if you're still using them - are weak, considering the gpu. The bottom and center fans likely do not bring in enough air to keep the gpu fed.

What I would suggest:
A)Front intake: Stronger intake fans are needed. I'd imagine you would want to stick with LED fans in the front...
There is a 2200rpm version of the LL120s preinstalled with the chassis.; the SKU is different. The downsides are that the fan frames come in white only, and that they are louder due to the higher rpm.
Another alternative is the HD140 RGB 2-pack: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VhX2FT/corsair-hd140-rgb-74-cfm-140-mm-fans-2-pack-co-9050069-ww
That's pretty much it without having to change brands.

B)Top exhaust: The H150i Pro, with fans pushing air out of the chassis.

C)Rear exhaust: Take one of the old LL120s and use it here

Solution