[SOLVED] Overclocking my graphics card on 300 w psu

Jan 8, 2019
Hey guys
I am a bet concerned about my power supply
my specs are
AMD phenom II x4 955 BE (but not overclocked)
8 GB ddr3
and gt 1030
the power supply is an OEM 300 watt psu but it's 80+ bronz certified
made by Delta. the model is DPS-300AB-57 A
can it handle a 180+ core and 400+ memory over clock? or
the power supply is already stressed enough

Solution
Delta makes PSUs for Dell and other OEMs. They're quality parts. The GT1030 is a <40W GPU running on a 75W PCIe slot. As long as temperatures are good you should be able to overclock it. It's newer tech than the more powerful GTX750Ti 65W card so there may be some point in doing this. I've run GTX1050Ti on Dell (Delta)305W PSUs. A 300W aftermarket PSU would be questionable, but a Delta should be OK.
https://www.hardwareinsights.com/dell-h305p-01-power-supply-review/
Any PSU less than 400 watts (especially an OEM!) was never meant for overclocking. OEM PSUs were generally sized to supply just enough power for the configuration as shipped from the manufacturer. I would NOT recommend that you do any overclocking with it.

Jan 8, 2019

Two respectable answers but are opposite to each other
but say i overclocked the gt 1030 and there isn't enough power
is this the type of PSU that blow up or shut down? :)

Delta makes PSUs for Dell and other OEMs. They're quality parts. The GT1030 is a <40W GPU running on a 75W PCIe slot. As long as temperatures are good you should be able to overclock it. It's newer tech than the more powerful GTX750Ti 65W card so there may be some point in doing this. I've run GTX1050Ti on Dell (Delta)305W PSUs. A 300W aftermarket PSU would be questionable, but a Delta should be OK.
https://www.hardwareinsights.com/dell-h305p-01-power-supply-review/

Solution

DavidM012

Distinguished
cpu 125w
gpu 30w

155watts

You have 145 watts some of which will be used by the mobo, drives, any usb peripherals, so how much of that is available depends on your current rig.

The wattage of your gpu will increase probably by the same % that you overclock it. 10% is 3 watts. So it sounds like there is nothing to particularly worry about now that william p has clarified the view that the delta psu is actually of a better quality than an unbranded generic psu.

The pci slot can support up to 75w but will only draw as much power as the device in it.