Overclocking my GT 1030 to the max

Jun 21, 2015
GPU: GT 1030 Gigabyte Version
MB: MSI B250M Pro-VD

So far I've overclocked my GT 1030 core clock by 200 MHz and memory clock by 180 MHz and made it so my fan keeps it at bay at a some what decent 60.c, but so far whenever I attempt to go higher and test with unignie, fire strike still runs at higher speeds?, it crashes because of obviously going to high. But how can I tell if I'm going to high on my core clock or memory. As still have quite a good bit of head room for improvement.

For example if I begin to experience crashing am I going to hard on the memory clock and if I experience artifacting a I to hard on the core clock? Or does this apply to both settings in which I have reached max already.
57e16d5ca544119eb606d445213fb1fb.png

Solution
That seems like a pretty hefty overclock for a low-power card like that. If you want to find the limit do so. Find the limit by increasing in small increments and then back down a notch from there and be satisfied or buy a more powerful card.
You should increase only one at a time until you find the max. For instance, you should leave memory at stock and increase core clock in increments until you find the max stable while testing. Then you begin to increase your memory. This way you know the max of each one. Leave your core increased while you test the memory, you want your core as high as possible first, then memory as high as possible. Core clock increase gives better improvement in gaming than memory clock.

Jun 21, 2015
1e835258b9edb794f8848d1f2c566111.png

Doing what you did I increased my memory clock significantly to the point where I think if I go any farther it might set some new world records (bad joke). and core clock by 10 MHz. But here are my last few sets of questions.

1) how decent is my core clock increase of 210 MHz / Memory Clock of 500 MHz to other people
2) Should I go farther (max temp. went from 62 -> 64 - 65.C)

That seems like a pretty hefty overclock for a low-power card like that. If you want to find the limit do so. Find the limit by increasing in small increments and then back down a notch from there and be satisfied or buy a more powerful card.

Solution
Aug 12, 2019
I own the original reference design gigabyte GT1030 (D5)
And oddly enough 3dmark time spy validated my clocks. I've been using these and getting respectable performance in modern AAA titles tbh. FYI: an i5-3570K @4.2GHz is not being bottlenecked by the GT1030 in games such as gta5 or shadow of the tomb raider when i try to hit the 60-80fps mark (at least not in my case).
(EDIT) driver version this was achieved on: 411.70

Last edited: