Overclocking my Gtx 550 ti

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoSuitFan211

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hi i just joined today here in tom's and i want to know more about overclocking my gpu. I am not an expert thats why i seek advice from those who have been doing overclocks for a long time.

I use afterburner as a overclocking tool, on my Gigabyte Gtx 550 Ti, has default 970 core, 1940 shader and 1050 memory clock. So i have been reading things about overclocking and i know my card is capable of higher performance, and i want to pump out more in playing Crysis2 in Hardcore mode.

After i raised my clocks also i raised the core voltage everything is ok when i run the 3dmark vantage an increase in fps about 1.5-2 also i dont know if that makes alot of difference, meaning its succesfully overclocked in my point of view

By the way from 970 core i raised it to 1025 aswell as the shader from 1940 to 2051 and the memory from 1050 to 1085
i increased the core volt to max which is 1150 (mV) thats from a default 1087 (mV), these readings came from techpower up Gpu-z , max fanspeed also. :D

Here's the problem after playing crysis 2 for 5 minutes on Hardcore settings 1366 x 768 res. , the game freezes then
in my lower right corner appears Display driver stopped responding and has recovered, something like this.

and when i checked my Gpu-z the clocks returned to default :(

What could be the problem?? need Replys pls :D Tyty

~NanoSuitFan211

NanoSuitFan211

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

yeah i was thinking the same thing but i have a question is 1-3 fps of a difference on games much? and i have read review that Gtx 550 ti is quite overclockable according to the review. and How do you do that?? the one at the end of your reply where i can see the CPU motherboard RAM and other stuff? i am just new on this kind of stuff xD

ty for the reply sir :D

~NanoSuitFan211

I have not used afterburner, I have always used Riva Tuner, but non the less the basics are still the same.
Start out by raising the Core and Shader clocks the same, Riva Tuner has the option to lock these clocks together, and that is the what you should do if you have the option as well.
Memory is touchy, only raise memory speed as 2nd level type of overclocking, and in very small increments at a time, it will have less impact on the final results anyway.
I have never touched the voltage, I used to run my 8800GTS from default of 675 up to 825mhz without any issues at all.
I also have the 560ti right now, but I haven't really found a need to overclock it, yet.

NanoSuitFan211

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

ty so much for the reply :D
i found Rivatuner a bit complicated to use though, anyway i have a question about the driver of my Gtx 550 ti i am confused of what to use bcoz the nvidia site has 270.61 ver. which is WHQL well i dont really know what that means and another 275.27 which is i think newer but is a BETA, which should i use? and does that actually affect overclocking, i am just guessing coz i dont really know anything about it :(
and which driver is recommended

so back to the OC, so what you are saying is that i should just adjust the core and shaders first without having to touch the memory clock? and by how many Mhz should i adjust bcoz i am basing my performance on playing Crysis2 as I said on the earlier post.

ty for the Reply much appreciated

oh also and does BottleNeck affect overclocking? coz i have read that other components may limit you from doing OC for example in my case the GPU bcoz the other components are bottleneck-ing your pc.

These are my specifications:
CPU:Intel core i5-650 @ 3.2Ghz default
MOBO: Asus P7H55
RAM: Kingston 4Gb DDR3 (2x2Gb)
HDD:WD 500Gb Caviar
Powersupply: Gigabyte Superb 460W

~NanoSuitFan211

NanoSuitFan211

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

so the Memory clock dont do anything? or dont do much? and i should just adjust the Cores and shaders right?

but this link gave me some hint on what is the limit of my card http://pro-clockers.com/videocards/1858-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-550-ti.html?start=10

but then again i dont have experience i am just OC based from what i read and see. And i am still learning

ty for the Reply much appreciated :D

~NanoSuitFan211

It does but the gains are not all that much. Modern cards have a lot more bandwidth than previous generations. You want to save a little on power by leaving the vram as it is and nuke the core. It might buy you 10-15mhz on the core and maybe more.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
My experience with the GTX 470 lends credence to the advice here. You can crank up the core, but the memory is very touchy. Try the stock speed on the memory and crank the core. If you still have problems step down the core.

Yes, start by increasing the core and shader clocks equally. Keep them locked together, or increase them exactly the same. Adjust nothing else. Start out in 25mhz increments. Though as I said, I have no experience overclocking my 560ti yet, if it keeps in standard with previous cards 50-75 mhz overclocks should run just fine. Don't change the voltages.
Don't mess with the memory clock. It will net you little gain and only cause instability, go there only as a final "icing on the cake" type of thing after you have established a solid core/shader overclock. Even then, bump memory up only in very slight increments, like 5-10mhz at a time. As we warned, the memory gets very touchy as you start increasing it. I would suggest not changing it at all.
As for drivers, again, since I have not tried anything with the 560ti, you will have to just experiment with different drivers to find out what works best for you. Sometimes the beta drivers are better, sometimes not so much.

NanoSuitFan211

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Ty for the replies everyone this is a good community xD havent been in one in many years. Anyways,

i dont know if the Rivatuner has a problem or just my driver i cant see customize or overclock in it but it detects my GPU,weird :S

oh can i just use MSI afterburner? and i will do what u guys said, just crank the core and shaders at the same time well by default they are linked together
and i would just adjust the memory little by little or maybe to be on the safe side i wont adjust it at all xD

and i wont touch the volts i was just experimenting anyways xD haha

ty guys :D

~NanoSuitFan211

Fermi era cards don't allow core and shader clocks to be changed indipentantly. Fixed ratio of 1:2 (core:shader)

NanoSuitFan211

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Guys ty for the replies and ty for your time

i have overclocked it to 1005 core and 2010 shader from 970 and 1940

tho it is not much of an OC i think its better than default. a lil fps increase would help
and my memory clocks are still default

i tested my OC on burnout paradise and crysis2 both 1366 x768 and highest settings, when i raised it to 1010 Mhz the core the game crashes the driver crashes and the clocks go back to default so that just means thats the limit my cards comfort zone is at 1005 core.

Maybe if i want to play crysis2 on its prime i just have to buy a better card i guess

anyways this is my first pc in 6 years, had my pentium 3 last 2005 xD

ty again much appreciated ^_^

cyah next time if i have a question

Then they must have been wrong because 1950m is more or less a gtx 460/560 not what you are using.

NanoSuitFan211

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hi again everyone :)

well i have been wondering why other cards like mine when overclocked they add i not 100 they could add 200Mhz on Memory clock (well according to GPU-Z)
i even see hd 5770 from 1200 Memory clock to 1375 -.- and mine i cant even raise it from 1050 Mhz thats just so weird.

and ofc i raised the core not so much from 970 to 1005, coz if i increased it higher than 1005 the driver crashes and restores default clock.

I dont know i am just wondering, and in the box it says its overclockable from 10-30% omfg i did not even reach the 10%.

can anyone lend me a hand coz i think i am not getting the most out of my Gigabyte 550 ti :(

Ty. Feedbacks replies and comments are greatly appreciated. :D

-NanoSuitFan211

Status
Not open for further replies.